This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Analytical Study on Engine Noise Caused by Vibration of the Cylinder Block and Crankshaft
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1983 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
To clarify the mechanism of torsional and lateral bending vibration of the cylinder block which has a large affect on engine noise, an analysis was conducted of the influence of crankshaft torsional vibration on cylinder block vibrations. There were two main results. The first is that the lateral forced vibration of the crankshaft by the fluctuation of the lateral inertia force generated with the torsional vibration of the crankshaft directly causes the vibrations of the cylinder block. The other is that the level of cylinder block vibration varies according to the condition in which the frequency of the fluctuation of inertia force approaches the resonant frequencies of the cylinder block. Further, noise reduction can be achieved by optimizing the resonant frequency of the crankshaft torsional vibration.
- Takao Kubozuka, - Vehicle Research Lab., Central Engineering Labs, Nissan Motor Co., Ltd
- Yoshimasa Hayashi, - Vehicle Research Lab., Central Engineering Labs, Nissan Motor Co., Ltd
- Yoshikazu Hayakawa, - Vehicle Research Lab., Central Engineering Labs, Nissan Motor Co., Ltd
- Kazuhiro Kikuchi - Vehicle Research Lab., Central Engineering Labs, Nissan Motor Co., Ltd
CitationKubozuka,, T., Hayashi,, Y., Hayakawa,, Y., and Kikuchi, K., "Analytical Study on Engine Noise Caused by Vibration of the Cylinder Block and Crankshaft," SAE Technical Paper 830346, 1983, https://doi.org/10.4271/830346.
- Ochiai, K. Nakano, M. “ Relation between Crankshaft Torsional Vibration and Engine Noise.” SAE Paper 790365
- Okamura, H. “ The Influence of Piston Slap and Crankshaft Torsional Vibration on Engine Structure Noise in High Speed dieselEngines.” Proceedings of Noise-CON 79, Purdue Univ
- Bremer, R. “ A Practical Treatise on Engine Crankshaft Torsional Vibration Control.” SAE Paper 790763 , SP-445
- Challen, B. J. “ The Effect of Combustion System on Engine Noise.” SAE Paper 750798
- Ishihama, M. Hayashi, Y. Kubozuka, T. “ An Analysis of the Crankshaft Journals during Engine Firing.” SAE Paper 810772