This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Transformation Toughening of Beta”-Alumina
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1983 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The fracture toughness and fracture strength of beta”-alumina are critical material properties for insuring reliable assembly, performance and lifetime of sodium-sulfur batteries in electric vehicle applications. The fracture toughness of the electrolyte is of major importance because it has been shown that the critical sodium ion current density for electrolyte degradation is proportional to the fracture toughness of the electrolyte to the fourth power. High fracture strength of the electrolyte is required for making and maintaining reliable seals to the insulating header. Greater fracture strength and toughness of beta”-alumina can be attained through transformation toughening while maintaining tolerable ionic resistivities.
CitationRasmussen, J., Viswanathan, L., Miller, G., and Virkar, A., "Transformation Toughening of Beta”-Alumina," SAE Technical Paper 830225, 1983, https://doi.org/10.4271/830225.
- Kummer J. T. Weber N. Soc. Automot. Eng, Trans. 76 1968 1003
- Armstrong R. D. Dickinson T. Turner J. Electrochim. Acta 19 1974 187
- Richman R. H. Tennenhouse G. J. J. Amer. Ceram. Soc 58 1975 63
- Shetty D. K. Virkar A. V. Gordon R. S. “Fracture Hechanics of Ceramics” 4 Brandt R. C. Haselmann D. P. H. Lange F. F. Plenum Press New York 1978 651
- Virkar A. V. Viswanathan L. Biswas D. R. J. Mater. Sci 15 1980 302
- Garvie R. C. Hannink R. H. Pascoe R. T. Nature 258 1975 703
- Porter D. L. Heuer A. H. J. Amer. Ceram. Soc 60 1977 183
- Claussen N. J. Amer. Ceram. Soc 59 1976 49
- Viswanathan L. Ikuma Y. Virkar A. V. J. Hater. Sci 17 1982 accepted for publication
- Lange F. F. presented at the 34 th Pacific Coast Regional Heeting of the American Ceramic Society Newport Beach, Ca. Oct. 1981
- Youngblood G. E. Virkar A. V. Cannon W. R. Gordon R. S. Bull. Amer. Ceram. Soc 56 1977 206
- Evans A. G. Charles E. A. J. Amer. Ceram. Soc 54 1976 371