This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A New Load Sensor for Truck Self Weighing Systems
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1983 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The need to measure axle loads, payload and gross load of commercial vehicles is shown to have led to the development of the technique of indirect measurement of load by siting strain sensors on the load bearing components of trucks. The specification for a suitable sensor is offered and some of the different types of sensor that have attempted to meet it are examined. An evolutionary design route is traced for a new type of sensor (1) which is low cost, easy to apply and comes close to the specification. The sensor is described together with its protective housing and tooling system which is an important part of the assembly. Finally the likely direction that future market needs will take the development of the sensor and its built in electronics is reviewed.
|Technical Paper||Reliability Testing Governs Vehicle Quality|
|Technical Paper||Rail Transit Simulation|
|Technical Paper||Evaluation of Structural Strength of Flatbed Trailer for Service Loading Conditions|
CitationBarnett, J. and West, R., "A New Load Sensor for Truck Self Weighing Systems," SAE Technical Paper 830103, 1983, https://doi.org/10.4271/830103.
- Barnett, J.D. “Strain Transducers” U.K. Patent Application GB 2050624 A , Filed 11 May 1979
- Sir Arthur Armitage “Report of the Enquiry into Lorries People and the Environment” H.M.S.O., Para . 377 133
- Vagverk, Statens ”Lastviktbestamning0201D; Special Report Swedish State Road Authority 7 Oct 1974
- Sir Arthur Armitage “Report of the Enquiry into Lorries People and the Environment” H.M.S.O., Para. 331 113
- Ruge, A.C “Gauge” U.S. Patent No 2316975, Filed 16 Sept 1939
- Axel Jonsson AB “Aton” System, Sales Literature
- Johansson, Egon “Presductor” ASEA Journal 1972 05 129 134
- Article “Nach Tastendruck” Verkers - Rundschau 25 July 1980
- Barnett J.D. Barlow, G.B. “Strain Measurement” U.S. Patent No 3853000
- Easterling, K.E. “Strain Links for Gauging Outdoors” Engineering 20 Oct 1961
- Strain Measurement Devices Ltd., “Custom Deposition Service” Sales Literature