This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Effects of Isotropic Pressure on the High Temperature High Shear Viscosity of Motor Oils
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1983 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The viscosity of 10W/40 motor oils formulated with different viscosity index (VI) improvers has been measured at pressures up to 200 MPa (2000 bar) over a wide temperature and shear rate range. The response of viscosity to pressure was found to depend on the chemical nature of the VI improver at both low and high shear rates. As a consequence, the ranking of the 150°C viscosities of polymer-thickened oils can be different at high pressures to that observed in conventional atmospheric pressure viscometers. These effects of VI improver type on high pressure viscosity appear to be relevant to wear in journal bearings of fired engines; thus in experiments carried out in the ALI Bearing Distress Test, bearing weight loss of multigrade oils containing different VI improvers correlated better with high pressure, high shear viscosities than with high shear viscosities measured at atmospheric pressure.
CitationHutton, J., Jones, B., and Bates, T., "Effects of Isotropic Pressure on the High Temperature High Shear Viscosity of Motor Oils," SAE Technical Paper 830030, 1983, https://doi.org/10.4271/830030.
- Rhodes R.B. Henderson, B.M. SAE Paper 811224
- Davies J.M. Walters K. “The Rheology of Lubricants” Davenport T.C. 1973 App, Sci. Publishers Ltd. Barking 65 80
- van Os, N. Bos, A. van Namen D. de Rooij, J.C.E.D. SAE Paper 780985
- Cameron A. “Principles of Lubrication” Longmans London 1966 308
- Bartz, W.J. SAE Paper 821204
- MacQuarrie N.A. Green, D.S. “Tribology of Reciprocating Engines” Leeds/Lyon Symposium Sept. 1982
- Boelhouwer J.W.M. Toneman, L.H. “Proceedings of the Conference on Lubrication and Wear” 214 1957 Institution of Mechanical Engineers London
- Galvin G.D. Hutton J.F. Jones B. J. Non-Newtonian Fluid Mechanics 8 11 1981
- Wright B. Mather, J. SAE Paper 790212
- Mandema, W. Zeldenrust H. Emeir, CA. Makromol Chem 180 1521 2163 1979
- Price, C. McAdam, J.D.G. Lally T.P. Woods, D. Polymer 15 228 1974
- Cross, M.M. J. Appl. Polymer Scl. 13 765 1969 J. Coll and Interface Sci. 33 1 30 1970
- Data Bank CEC Reference Oils RL 88–91 van Os N.M. Aug. 1981
- Wright, B. van Os N.M. Lyons, J.A. SAE Paper 830027