This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A New Concentric-Cylinder High-Shear Rate Viscometer for Measuring the Viscosity of Engine Lubricants
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1982 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A new Couette-type high-temperature, high-shear-rate viscometer capable of performing viscosity measurements at high temperatures (up to 150 °C) and high shear rates (up to 3 × 106 s−1) has been designed, developed and constructed at Koninklijke/Shell-Laboratorium, Amsterdam, the Netherlands. This paper highlights the important design and constructional aspects and modes of operation of this instrument, which has special features in terms of operational range, ease of experimental procedure, access to primary experimental quantities (such as gap width and oil film temperature) and data handling technique. It also describes the calibration of the new instrument and a first series of measurements with non-Newtonian CEC reference oils at temperatures of 100 °C and 150 °C and shear rates up to 3 × 106 s−1. The latter results agree very well with those obtained by other workers employing different viscometers. The new viscometer has proven to be very suitable for the accurate determination of the rheological behaviour of engine lubricants at high temperatures and high rates of shear.
Citationvan Os, N., van Helden, A., and van den Berg, W., "A New Concentric-Cylinder High-Shear Rate Viscometer for Measuring the Viscosity of Engine Lubricants," SAE Technical Paper 821245, 1982, https://doi.org/10.4271/821245.
- Mac Millan M.L. Stambaugh, R.L. “The Development of a Viscosity Classification System based on Engine Performance - A Review of SAE and related ASTM Activities” Paper EL/4/3 presented at the CEC Symposium on the Performance Evaluation of Automotive Fuels and Lubricants Rome June 1981
- Cassiani - Ingoni A. et al., “European Activity concerning Engine Oil Viscosity Classification” SAE Paper 800546
- Piasecki D.A. et al., “Development and Performance of the Tapered Bearing Simulator for High Shear, High Temperature Viscometry” SAE paper 811225
- Bird R.B. et al., “Transport Phenomena” New York Wiley and Sons 1960
- Cassiani - Ingoni A. et al., “Measurements of Viscosity at High Temperature, High Shear. CEC CL-23 Achievements” Paper EL/4/1 presented at the CEC symposium on the Performance Evaluation of Automotive Fuels and Lubricants Rome June 1981
- Wall, J.C. “An Engineering Analysis of Thermal Effects in the Concentric-Cylinder High-Shear-Rate Viscometer” SAE paper 810823