This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Computer Heat Transfer and Hydrocarbon Adsorption Model for Predicting Diesel Particulate Emissions in Dilution Tunnels
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1982 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The prediction of particulate concentrations in dlesel exhaust diluted in a dilution tunnel has been achieved using a computer model. The particulate collection filter temperature, soluble organic fraction (SOF) and solids fraction (SOL) of diesel particulate matter were predicted based on exhaust system and dilution tunnel variables that could be measured on a real-time basis. The SOF was assumed to be formed by adsorption of gaseous hydrocarbons onto the solids fraction. The accuracy of the model was determined by comparison to experimentally measured values. The model was able to predict SOF concentrations within 35%, filter temperatures within 3°G, and particulate (SOF + SOL) concentrations within 25% of measured values. A parametric study was conducted using the developed model; and improved test procedures, dilution tunnel dimensions, and federal testing guidelines were suggested.
CitationClerc, J. and Johnson, J., "A Computer Heat Transfer and Hydrocarbon Adsorption Model for Predicting Diesel Particulate Emissions in Dilution Tunnels," SAE Technical Paper 821218, 1982, https://doi.org/10.4271/821218.
- Frisch, L. E. Johnson, J. H. Leddy, D. G. “Effect of Fuels and Dilution Ratio of Diesel Particulate Emissions,” SAE Paper No. 790417, 1979.
- Barth, D. J. Blacker, S. M. “The EPA Program to Assess the Public Health Significances of Diesel Emissions,” JAPCA Vol. 28, No. 8, p769, 1978.
- Jambekar, A. B. Johnson, J. H. “The Effect of Dieselizatlon on Truck Usage,” SAE Paper No. 810022, 1981.
- “EPA-Heavy Duty Engines for 1979 and Later Years — Certification and Test Procedures,” Federal Register, Vol. 42, No. 174, September 8, 1977.
- “Control of Air Pollution from New Motor Vehicles and Motor Vehicle Engines,” Federal Register, Vol. 44, No. 31, pp 9464–9539, February 13, 1979.
- Clerc, J. C. “A Computer Model for Predicting Temperature, Solids Concentration, and Adsorbed Hydrocarbon Concentration for Dilute Diesel Particulate Emissions,” M. S. Thesis, MTU, 1982.
- Khatri, N. J. Johnson, J. H. Leddy, D. G. “The Characterization of the Hydrocarbon and Sulfate Fractions of Diesel Particulate Matter,” SAE Paper No. 780111, 1978.
- Funkenbusch, E. F. Leddy, D. G. Johnson, J. H. “The Characterization of the Soluble Organic Fraction of Diesel Particulate Matter,” SAE Paper No. 790418, 1979.
- Vuk, C. T. Jones, M. A. Johnson, J. H. “The Measurement and Analysis of the Physical Character of Diesel Particulate Emissions,” SAE Paper No. 760131, SAE Transactions, Vol. 85, 1976.
- Japar, S. M. Szkarlat, A. C. “Real-Time Measurements of Diesel Vehicle Exhaust Particulate Using Photoacoustic Spectroscopy and Total Light Extinction,” SAE Paper No. 811184, 1981.
- MacDonald, J. S. Plee, S. L. D'Arcy, J. B. Schreck, R. M. “Experimental Measurements of the Independent Effects of Dilution Ratio and Filter Temperature on Diesel Exhaust Particulate Samples,” SAE Paper No. 800185, SAE Special Publication, P-86, 1980.
- Carpenter, K. Johnson, J. H. “Analysis of the Physical Characteristics of Diesel Particulate Using Transmission Electron Microscope Techniques,” SAE Paper No. 790815, 1979.
- Plee, S. L. MacDonald, J. S. “Some Mechanisms Affecting the Mass of Diesel Exhaust Particulate Collected Following a Dilution Process,” SAE Paper No. 800186, SAE Special Publication P-86, 1980.
- Natusch, D. F. S. Tomkins, B. A. “Theoretical Consideration of the Adsorption of Polynuclear Aromatic Hydrocarbon Vapor onto Fly Ash in a Coal-Fired Power Plant,” Carcinogenesis, Vol. 3, Polynuclear Aromatic Hydrocarbons, Edited by Jones P. W. and Freudenthal, R. I. Raven Press, 1978, pp 145–153.
- Weber, W. J. Jr., “Sorption from Solution by Porous Carbon,” Principle and Applications of Water Chemistry, Edited by Faust S. D. and Hunter, J. V. Wiley & Sons, New York, 1967.
- Kenson, R. E. “Carbon Adsorption of Hydrocarbon Emissions Using Vacuum Stripping,” Pollution Engineering, Vol. 11, No. 7, July 1979, p38–40.
- Adamson, A. W. Physical Chemistry of Surfaces, Interscience Publishers, New York, 1960.
- Brunauer, S. Emmet, P. H. Teller, E. J. Am. Chem. Soc, 60, 309, 1938.
- Smith, J. M. Chemical Engineering Kinetics, McGraw-Hill, New York, 1981.
- Radke, C. J. Prausnitz, J. M. “Adsorption of Organic Solutes from Dilute Aqueous Solution on Activated Carbon,” Ind. Eng. Chem. Fundam., Vol. 11, No. 4, 1972, p 445–454.
- Dubinin, M. M. “Porous Structure and Adsorption Properties of Active Carbons,” Chemistry and Physics of Carbon, Vol. 2, 1966.
- Hunter, G. Scholl, J. Hibbler, F. Bagley, S. Leddy, D. Abata, D. Johnson, J. “The Effect of an Oxidation Catalyst on the Physical, Chemical, and Biological Character of Diesel Particulate Emissions,” SAE Paper No. 810263, 1981.
- Hunter, G. Scholl, J. Hibbler, F. Bagley, S. Leddy, D. Abata, D. Johnson, J. “The Effects of Fuels on Diesel Oxidation Catalyst Performance and the Physical, Chemical, and Biological Character of Diesel Particulate Emissions,” SAE Paper No. 811192, 1981.
- Campbell, J. Scholl, J. Hibbler, F. Bagley, S. Leddy, D. Abata, D. Johnson, J. “The Effect of Fuel Injection Rate and Timing on the Physical, Chemical, and Biological Character of Particulate Emissions from a Direct Injection Diesel,” SAE Paper No. 810996, 1981.
- Holman, J. P. “Heat Transfer,” McGraw-Hill, Inc., New York, 1976.
- Fand, R. M. Keswani, K. K. “Combined Natural and Forced Convection Heat Transfer from Horizontal Cylinders to Water,” International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, Vol. 16, pp 1175–1191, Pegamon Press, Great Britain, 1973.
- Zucrow, M. J. Hoffman, J. D. “Gas Dynamics Volume I,” John Wiley and Sons, Inc., New York, 1976.
- Van Wylen, G. J. Sonntag, R. E. “Fundamentals of Classical Thermodynamics,” Second Edition, John Wiley and Sons, Inc., New York, 1978.
- Fujiwara, Y. Fukazawa, S. “Growth and Combustion of Soot Particulates in the Exhaust of Diesel Engines,” SAE Paper No. 800984, 1980.
- Hare, C. T. Bradow, R. L. “Characterization of Heavy-Duty Diesel Gaseous and Particulate Emissions, and Effects of Fuel Composition,” SAE Paper No. 790490, 1979.
- Nonlinear Regression Routines, Reference Manual for 1100 Series Computers, The University of Wisconsin-Madison.
- White, L. Jr.; Schneider; C. H. Robinson, W. W. Jr.; J. Am. Chem. Soc., 74, 5796, 1952.
- Crank, J. “The Mathematics of Diffusion,” Oxford University Press, London, England, 1964.
- Bird, R. B. Stewart, W. E. Ughtfoot, E. N. “Transport Phenomena,” John Wiley and Sons, Inc., 1960.
- Wark, K. Warner, C. F. “Air Pollution: Its Origin and Control,” Harper and Row, New York, 1976.
- Whitby, R. Gibbs, R. Johnson, R. Hill, B. Shimpi, S. Jorgensen, R. “Real-Time Diesel Particulate Measurement Using a Tapered Element Oscillating Microbalance,” SAE Paper No. 820463, 1982.