This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Pre-Ignition and Knock Behavior of AIcohol Fuels
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1982 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The design and adjustment of modern engines is limited by combustion behavior of the fuels. In the application of present fuels knock is the dominating factor, usually defined as Research -and Motor Octane Numbers (RON and MON). Alternative fuels prove to be different in some cases. So some engines react more sensitive with regard to knock as to be expected from the octane numbers when oxygenated fuels are utilized. In the application of alcohol fuels pre-ignition is an important factor besides knock, mainly in case of methanol.
The investigation of pre-ignition and knock effects in high compression alcohol engines answers the question how the adjustment parameters such as air-fuel ratio, ignition timing and the temperatures of intake air and water will have an influence.
As pre-ignition is a fuel property, a relation to other fuel properties, for instance octane numbers, is expected. It was found that the knock sensitivity gives a correlation to pre-ignition effects.
CitationMenrad, H., Haselhorst, M., and Erwig, W., "Pre-Ignition and Knock Behavior of AIcohol Fuels," SAE Technical Paper 821210, 1982, https://doi.org/10.4271/821210.
- Wolf, W. “Alkohole und ihre motorische Verbrennung” Compendium 74/75 Erdöl und Kohle Petrochemie 666 686
- Giere, H. Nierhauve, B. Gondermann, H. “Anwendungstechnische Untersuchungen von Ottokraftstoffen und sauerstoffhaltigen Komponenterr” Mineralöltechnik 7 und 8 1980
- Marhold, T. “Influence of Oxygenates on the Road Ratings of Typical Gasolines” Fourth Int. Symp. on Alcohol Fuels Technology Guarujá, Brazil Oct. 5–8 1980
- Bowditch, F.W. Iu, T.C. “A Consideration of the Deposit Ignition Mechanism” Trans. Soc. Automot. Engrs 1961 69 435
- Pahnke, A.J. “Surface Ignition: Factors affecting its occurence in Engines” Trans Soc. Automot. Engrs 1963 71 663
- Downs, D. Pignéguy, J H. “An Experimental Investigation into Pre-Ignition in the Spark-Ignition Engine” Inst. of Mech. Eng., Proceedings of Automobile Division Part 2 A 125 149 1950–1951
- Downs, D. Theobald, F. B. “The Effect of Fuel Characteristics and Engine Operation Conditions on Pre-ignition” Inst. of Mech. Eng., Proceedings of Automobile Division Part A 2 1978/89 108 1963 1964
- Schwarz, H. Bertling, H. “Einfluß der Zundung auf Motor und Abgas”; Beesch, 0.: “Beur-teilung und Auswahl des Wärmewertes von Zundker-zen fur Otto-Motorerr” Bosch Technische Berichte 4 1 47 51 1972
- Browning, L.H. Pefley, R.K. “Thermo-kinetic Modeling of Methanol Combustion Phenomena with Application to Spark Ignition Engines” Third Int. Symp. on Alcohol Fuels Technology Asilomar, California May 28–31 1979