This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Unrestrained, Front Seat, Child Surrogate Trajectories Produced by Hard Braking
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1982 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper describes a study to determine the influence of preimpact vehicle braking on the positions and postures of unrestrained, children in the front seat at the time of collision.
Anesthetized baboons were used as child surrogates. The unrestrained animals were placed in various initial sitting, kneeling, and standing positions typically assumed by children while traveling in automobiles. Tests were conducted with various front seat positions and seat covering materials. Measurements were made of pertinent vehicle dynamics and surrogate kinematics during the hard braking event. For each initial condition evaluated, a photosequence is given showing typical positions and postures of the surrogate during the braking event.
The principal conclusion of the study is that the kinematic response of a child will be somewhere between that of a child dummy (probably more representative of a “braced” child) and that of an anesthetized baboon (probably more representative of a sleeping or relaxed child). The anesthetized animal pivoted about his hips and tumbled forward in response to the braking, whereas the child dummy maintained his seat position while sliding forward.
CitationStalnaker, R., Klusmeyer, L., Peel, H., White, C. et al., "Unrestrained, Front Seat, Child Surrogate Trajectories Produced by Hard Braking," SAE Technical Paper 821165, 1982, https://doi.org/10.4271/821165.
- Patrick, L.M. Nyquist, G.W. “Airbag Effects on the Out-of-Position Child” 2nd International Conference on Passive Restraints, SAE 720442 1972
- Klove, E.H. Oglesby, R.N. “Special Problems and Considerations in the Development of Air Cushion Restraint Systems” 2nd International Conference of Passive Restraints, SAE 720411 1972
- Wu, H. Tang, S.C. Petrof, R.C. “Interaction Dynamics of an Inflating Air Bag and a Standing Child” SAE 730604 1973
- Aldman, B. Anderson, A. Saxmark, O. “Possible Effects of Air Bag Inflation on a Standing Child” Proceedings of the International Meeting on Biomechanics of Trauma in Children, Lyon, France 1974
- Takeda, H. Kobayashi, S. “Injuries to Children from Air Bag Deployment” 8th International Technical Conference on Experimental Safety Vehicles, Wolfsburg 1980
- Hitchcock, R. J. “Protection of Children and Adults in Crashes of Cars with Automobile Restraints” 8th International Technical Conference of Experimental Safety Vehicles, Wolfsburg 1980
- “Child Restraint and Occupant Position Data, Survey of Cars and Traffic Population” Opinion Research Corp. March 1980
- Reynolds, H.M. Young, J.W. McConville, J. T. Snyder, R.G. “Development and Evaluation of Masterbody Forms for Three-Year Old and Six-Year Old Child Dummies:, Highway Safety Research Institute University of Michigan 1976