This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Submarining Injuries of 3 Pt. Belted Occupants in Frontal Collisions – Description, Mechanisms and Protection
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1982 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Accidentological studies show, firstly, what kind of injuries are sustained by seat-belt wearers in frontal collisions, to abdomen, lumbar spine and lower members and, second, how to determine their frequencies and severities. Corresponding data are presented.
Then, a synthesis is made in which the results of extensive cadaver testing more than 300 human subjects-are examined with particular emphasis on the abdominal injuries, and on the association of injuries, such as lumbar spine injuries. Causation is particularly looked at. This experimental survey is completed by the results of specialized testing in abdominal tolerance when submarining occurs.
These two surveys enable the development of protection.
Finally, former attempts for defining an abdominal protection criterion are reviewed and a final definition for such a criterion is presented and justified.
|Technical Paper||A Kinematic Analysis of Lap-Belt Submarining for Test Dummies|
|Technical Paper||Crash Pulse Characterization to Minimize Occupant Injuries in Offset Frontal Crash|
|Technical Paper||Dynamic Simulations of Belted Occupants with Submarining|
- Y. C. Leung - Laboratory of Physiology and Biomechanics, Peugeot-Renault Association (France)
- C. Tarrière - Laboratory of Physiology and Biomechanics, Peugeot-Renault Association (France)
- D. Lestrelin - Laboratory of Physiology and Biomechanics, Peugeot-Renault Association (France)
- C. Got - I.R.B.A. Raymond Poincaré Hospital, Garches, France
- F. Guillon - I.R.B.A. Raymond Poincaré Hospital, Garches, France
- A. Patel - I.R.B.A. Raymond Poincaré Hospital, Garches, France
CitationLeung, Y., Tarrière, C., Lestrelin, D., Got, C. et al., "Submarining Injuries of 3 Pt. Belted Occupants in Frontal Collisions – Description, Mechanisms and Protection," SAE Technical Paper 821158, 1982, https://doi.org/10.4271/821158.
- Walfisch, G. Fayon, A. Leung, Y.C. Tarriere; C. Got, C. Patel A. “Synthesis of Abdominal Injuries in Frontal Collisions with Belt-Wearing cadavers Compared with Injuries Sustained by Real-Life Accident Victims. Problems of Simulation with Dummies and Protection Criteria.” Proceedings of IRCOBI GOETEBORG, Sweden 7–9 Sept. 1979
- Dehner, J.S. “Seat Belt Injuries of the Spine and Abdomen.” American J. Roentgen VIII PP833 843 April 1971
- Leung Y.C. Tarrière C. Fayon A. Mairesse P. Banzet P. “An Anti-Submarining Scale Determined from Theoretical and Experimental Studies Using Three-Dimensional Geometrical Definition of the Lap-Belt” SAE Paper n° 811020, in the Proceedings of 25th Stapp Car Crash Conference, San Francisco Sept. 28–30 1981
- Leung, Y.C. Tarrière, C. Fayon, A. Mairesse, P. Delmas A. Banzet, P. “A Comparaison Between Part 572 Dummy and Human Subject in the Problem of Submarining.” In the Proceedings of 23rd Stapp Car Crash Conference, San Diego Calif Oct. 17/19 1979 SAE Transaction Paper N°791.026
- Fayon A. Tarrière C. Walfisch G. Got C. Patel A. “Thorax of 3-Point Belt Wearers During a Crash (Experiments with Cadavers)” In the Proceedings of 19th Stapp Car Crash Conference, SAE paper 751148 , San Diego, Calif. Nov. 17/19 1975
- Haley J.L. Jr. “Fundamentals of Kinetics and Kinematics as Applied to Injury Reduction” “Impact Injury and Crash Protection” C.C. Thomas Publisher 1970
- Patrick L.M. Andersson A. “Three -Point Harness Accident and Laboratory Data Comparaison” SAE Paper N° 741.181, in the Proceedings of the 18th Stapp Car Crash Conference, Ann Arbor Michigan Dec. 4th 1974
- Adomeit D. Heger, A. “Motion Sequence Criteria and Design Proposals for Restraint Devices in order to Avoid Unfavorable Biomechanic Condition and Submarining” SAE Paper N°751.146 In the Proceedings of 19th Stapp Car Crash Conference, San Diego, Calif Nov. 17th 1975
- Hontschik, H. Müller E. Rüter, G. “Necessities and possibilities of Improving the Protectice Effect of Three -Point Seat -Belts” Proceedings of the 21st Stapp Car Crash Conference, New Orleans, Louisiana Oct. 19/21st 1977
- Biilaut, P. Tisseron, C. Dejeammes, M. Biard, R. Cord, P. Jenoc, P. “The Inflatable Diagonal Belt” 7th Internatinal Technical Conference on the Experimental Safety Vehicles, Paris June 5/9 1979
- Lundell, B. Mellander, H. Carlson, I. “Safety Performance óf a rear Seat Belt System with Optimized Seat Cushion Design” SAE Paper N°810.796, Passenger Car Meeting Dearborn, Michigan June 8 12 1981
- Nyquist G.W. “Comparaison of Vehicule-Seated Volunteer Pelvic Orientations April 10 1980
- Nyquist G.W. et al. “Lumbar and Pelvic Orientations of the Vehicule Seated Volunteer” SAE 760821 , 20th Stapp Car Crash Conference 1976
- Lestrelin D. “Etude par modele Mathematique de l’Influence de quelques Paramètres du Mannequin Part 572 sur sa Propension a u sous-Marinage” Rapport Interimaire N°2 Contrat N°78043 “Critères de Sous-Marinage” dans le Cadre des Actions Thematiques Programmees Françaises 1979
- Lestrelin, D. Fayon, A. Tarrière C. “Development and use of a Mathematical Model Simulating a Traffic Accident Victim” Proceedings of 5th International IRCOBI Conference, Birmingham Sept. 1980
- Tarrière C. “Proposal for a Protection criterion as Regards Abdominal Internal Organs” P371 Proceedings of Conference of A.A.A.M., Oklahoma City, Oklahoma Nov. 14/17 1973
- Clavel M. “Restraint Systems Improvement “Proceedings of 5th International Technical Conference on Experimental Safety Vehicles London June 4–7 1974
- Daniel R.P. Oct. 15 1974
- Adomeit D. “Seat Design -A Significant Factor for Safety Belt Effectiveness” SAE Paper N°791004, in Proceedings of 23rd Stapp Car Crash Conference, San Diego, Calif. Oct. 17–19 1979
- Leung Y.C. Tarrière C. Maltha J. “A Review for the Abdominal Protection Criterion” October 1981
- “Experimental Elements for the Definition of Abdominal Protection Criterion in a Submarining Possibility” July 27th 1980
- “Proposal for an abdominal Protection Criterion” March 1980
- Leung Y.C. Mairesse P. Banzet P. “Submarining Criterion” Sept. 1980
- Stalnaker R.L. “Submarining sled Testd Part 572. Pelvis with and without PSA/Renault Submarining Transducers and PSA/Renault modified Part 572 Pelvis with Submarining Transducers” TNO October 8th 1980
- Dejeammes M. Biard R. Derrien Y. “Factors influencing the estimation of Submarining on the Dummy” August 1981