This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Aircraft Vehicle Equipment Improvements via Microprocessors
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1982 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The significant advance in microprocessor technology has been recognized by the aircraft community. Over the past several years, strong interest has been expressed in integrating this technology into vehicle equipment subsystems. Thus, the analog control technologies of the past are slowly being replaced by digital control. Of interest in this paper are the significant improvements that can be made in the areas of environmental control, crew escape, and brake systems. The areas that are being addressed with respect to the environmental control system are discussed in the paper; the areas of concern are cooling control, simplification of valve design, and fault detection. The current problems in relation to crew escape and braking systems are described. The manner in which microprocessor technology can relieve these problems are presented. Work in this area by the Boeing Company is also described.
CitationKurylowich, G. and Lloyd, A., "Aircraft Vehicle Equipment Improvements via Microprocessors," SAE Technical Paper 820868, 1982, https://doi.org/10.4271/820868.
- “Application of Digital Avionics to Commercial Airplane Systems” 1981
- Midolo L. L. “The Use of Positive Displacement Air Cycle Machine in a Closed-Loop Environment Control System” ASME 9th Intersociety Conference on Environmental Systems July 1979
- Tsujikawa G. S. Rajpaul V. K. “Closed-Loop Environmental Control Systems (CECS) Study” January 1981
- Lloyd A. J. P. Duleba G. S. Zeeben J. P. “Environmental Control System (ECS) Transient Analysis” October 1977
- Fryer W. D. Schultz W. C. “A Survey of Methods for Digital Simulation of Control Systems” July 1964
- Dobbek R. J. “Adaptive Control of Escape System Operation” Science and Engineering Symposium Dayton, Ohio April 1981
- Warren S. M. Kilner J. R. “Advanced Brake Control System” August 1980