This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Microprocessor Controlled Continuously Variable Rubber V-Belt Transmission for an Automobile
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1982 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The technical advancements in microprocessors and their incorporation in motor vehicles has led to the feasibility of using continuously variable transmissions in automobiles. This paper discusses the design, development and testing of a rubber V-belt continuously variable transmission for a production vehicle. Overall speed ratios in excess of 7.0 were achieved with a hydraulically actuated driver sheave and a spring and cam loaded driven sheave. The drive was controlled with an 8-bit microprocessor which operated in three different control modes. The test results show that the rubber V-belt is viable for automotive use and has potential for improved fuel economy while maintaining good vehicle drivability.
CitationSrinivasan, K., Houser, D., Kinzel, G., and Mattern, D., "Microprocessor Controlled Continuously Variable Rubber V-Belt Transmission for an Automobile," SAE Technical Paper 820745, 1982, https://doi.org/10.4271/820745.
- Gray C.L. Jr. Von Hippel, F. “The Fuel Economy of Light Vehicles,” Scientific American 244 No. 5 May 1981
- Christenson, B.C. Frank, A.A. Beachley, N. H. “The Fuel Saving Potential of Cars with Continuously Variable Transmission and an Optimal Control Algorithm,” ASME Paper No.75 - WA/AUT-20 Nov. 1975
- Racke, R.R. Unnewehr, L.E. Freedman, R.J. “Optimization of a Continuously Variable Transmission with Emission Constraints,” SAE Paper No. 810107 Feb. 1981
- Scott, D. “Belt-Drive Automatic Preprogrammed for Economy,” Automotive Engineering Aug. 1978
- Ludoph, H.H.J. “Stepless Automatic Transmission for Cars,” Paper presented at the 10th International Automobile Technical Congress, Japan 1964
- Baudoin, P. “Continuously Variable Transmissions for Cars with High Ratio Coverage,” SAE Paper No. 790041 Feb. 1979
- Scott, D. “Belt-Drive CVT for ‘82 Model Year.” Automotive Engineering Feb. 1981
- Kraus, J.H. “Traction Drive Shows Automotive Promise,” Machine Design Oct. 1973
- Stubbs, P.W.R. “The Development of a Perbury Traction Transmission for a Motor Car Application,” ASME Paper No. 80-C2/DET-59 Aug. 1980
- Frank A.A. Beachley, N.H. “Evaluation of the Flywheel Drive Concept for Passenger Vehicles,” SAE Paper No. 790049 Feb. 1979
- Russo F.A. Walker, B. E. “Automotive Sensors-Design/Production,” SAE Paper No. 790141 Feb. 1979
- Oliver, L.R. Hornung, K.G. Swenson, J.E. Shapiro, H.N. “Design Equations for a Speed and Torque Controlled Variable Ratio V-Belt Transmission,” SAE Paper No. 730003 Feb. 1973
- McGowan, M.J. “From the S-100 to CAMAC: The Diversity of Digital Buses,” Control Engineering April 1979
- Wadsworth, N. “Z-80 Software Gourmet Guide & Cookbook,” Scelbi Publications 1979
- Oliver, L.R. Dayco Corporation July 1981