This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
In-Cylinder Measurement of Particulate Number Density and Size
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1982 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A technique to determine time and space resolved particulate number density and size in the cylinder of an operating diesel engine is described and sample data presented. Basically the technique uses Mie scattering of a laser beam passed through the jet of gases leaking through a 0.015 diameter orifice inserted into the combustion chamber. Number density and size are inferred from measurements of scattering as a function of angle of scattering. The data show a linear relationship between exhaust measurements using this technique and Bosch smoke meter readings as well as an approximately linear relationship between in-cylinder measurements of number density and mass measurements made by collecting particulates flowing through the 0.015 in, orifice on a filter.
CitationXu, H., Myers, P., and Uyehara, O., "In-Cylinder Measurement of Particulate Number Density and Size," SAE Technical Paper 820462, 1982, https://doi.org/10.4271/820462.
- Aoyagi, Y. Kamimoto, T. Matsui, Y. Matsuoka, S. “A Gas Sampling Study on the Formation Processes of Soot and NO in a DI Diesel Engine.” SAE Paper 800254 1980
- Logan, M. Gudgeon, J. Uyehara O. A. Myers, P. S. “Determination of Particulate Formation in a Diesel Engine Using In-Cylinder Sampling.” To be presented at the Feb. 1982 Annual SAE Meeting
- Mie, G. Ann. Phys 25 3 337 1908
- Kunugi, M. Jinno, H. “Determination of Size and Concentration of Particles in Diffusion Flames by a Light Scattering Technique.” Eleventh Symposium (International) on Combustion The Combustion Institute Pittsburgh 1967 257 266
- Asano, S. Yamamoto, G. “Light Scattering by a Spheroidal Particle,” Applied Optics 14 1 1975 29 49
- Okada, T. Matsunuma, K. ”Determination of Particle-Size Distribution and Concentration of Cigarette Smoke by a Light-Scattering, Method.” Journal of Colloid and Interface Science 48 3 461 469 1974
- Cooke, D. D. Kerker, M. “Response Calculations for Light-Scattering Aerosol Particle Counters.” Applied Optics 14 3 1975 734 739
- Diermendjian, D. et al. “Mie Scattering with Complex of Refraction.” J. Opt. Soc. Am 51 620 33 1961
- Erickson, W. D. Williams, G. C. Hottel, H. C. “Light Scattering Measurements on Soot in a Benzene-Air Flame,” Combustion and Flame 8 1964 127 132
- Lipkea William H. Johnson, John H. “The Physical and Chemical Character of Diesel Particulate Emissions — Measurement Techniques and Fundamental Considerations.” SAE/SP-78/430
- Dolan D. F. Kittelson, D. B. ”Diesel Exhaust Aerosol Particle Size Distribution — Comparison of Theory and Experiment.” SAE Transactions 87 462 468 780110 1978
- Khan, I. M. “Formation and Combustion of Carbon in a Diesel Engine.” Proc. Inst. Mech. Engrs 185 36 43 1969-70
- Espenscheil, W. F. Kerker, M. Matijevic, E. “Logarithmic Distribution Functions for Colloidal Particles.” Journal of Physical Chemistry 68 11 1964
- Ingham, M. C. Uyehara O. A. Myers, P. S. “In-Cylinder Sampling of Hydrocarbons in a Texaco 1-141 TCP Engine.” To be presented at the 1982 Annual SAE Meeting