This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
An Update of Applicable Automotive Engine Rotary Stratified Charge Developments
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1982 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Curtiss-Wright's rig results to support development of a large Rotary (Wankel-type) direct injected stratified charge multi-fuel Military engine are related to earlier automotive -sized engine data. The comparisons indicate similar thermal efficiency of the larger 350 C.I.D. single rotor rig and the 60 C.I.D. size. However, improved configurations and basic technology advances have been realized during development of the larger module which have not been tested on the smaller engine.
Relevant growth studies for General Aviation engines are summarized and test data indicating directions for significant improvements in specific fuel consumption at lean mixture strengths, via turbocharging, are presented and reflected in automotive model Rotary engine projections. System analysis shows sizeable fuel economy gains of naturally aspirated and turbocharged Rotary stratified charge over existing automotive engines. These improvements would be additive to refining and increased energy yield benefits that accrue to use of a broad-base middle distillate fuel by an engine configuration of demonstrated wide fuel tolerance.
|Technical Paper||Performance and Emission Analysis of a Non-Conventional Gasoline Engine|
|Technical Paper||Development of New I3 1.2L Supercharged Gasoline Engine|
|Technical Paper||A Simple Mechanism for AC Compressor Operation|
CitationJones, C., "An Update of Applicable Automotive Engine Rotary Stratified Charge Developments," SAE Technical Paper 820347, 1982, https://doi.org/10.4271/820347.
- Jones Charles “A Survey of Curtiss-Wright's 1958-1971 Rotating Combustion Engine Technological Developments” Paper No. 720468 , presented at the National Automobile Engineering Meeting Detroit, Michigan May 1972
- Tierney W.T. Johnson E.M. Crawford “Energy Conservation of the Vehicle-Fuel-Refinery System” SAE Paper No. 750673 June 1975
- Tierney W.T. Wilson R.F. “Adequate Future Transportation Demands Vehicle-Fuel-Refinery System Optimization Today” presented at the API Michigan Meeting January 1976
- Jones Charles Lamping Harold D. Myers David M. Loyd Robert W. “An Update of the Direct Injected Stratified Charge Rotary Combustion Engine Developments at Curtiss-Wright” SAE Transactions 1977 86 770044
- van Basshuysen Richard Wilmers Gottlieb “An Update of the Development on the New Audi NSU Rotary Engine Generation” SAE Paper No. 78418 February 1978
- Shimamura K. Tadokoro T. “Fuel Economy Improvement of Rotary Engine by Using Catalyst System” Paper No. 810277 presented at SAE Congress and Exposition Detroit February 1981
- Jones Charles Lamping Harold “Curtiss-Wright's Development Status of the Stratified Charge Rotating Combustion Engine” SAE Transactions 1971 80 710582
- Hofbauer P. Stator K. “Advanced Power Systems, Part 2: A Diesel for a Sub-compact Car” SAE Paper No. 770113 February 1977
- Contract No. DOT-TSC-1193 Contractor's Presentation September 1977 “Data Base for Lightweight Automotive Diesel Power Plants” Volkswagenwerk AG
- Wiedemann B. Hofbauer P. “Data Base for Lightweight Automotive Diesel Power Plants” SAE Paper No. 780634 June 1978
- Lewis J.M. Tierney W.T. “United Parcel Service Applies Texaco Stratified Charge Engine Technology to Power Parcel Delivery Vans-Progress Report” SAE Paper No. 801429
- Wares Richard N. “Performance Evaluation of a Stratified Charge Engine Powered Automobile” U.S. Dept. of Energy September 23 1980
- NASA Contracts, Nos. NAS3-21285 and NAS3-22140
- Badgley P. Berkowitz M. Jones C. Myers D. Norwood E. Pratt W.B. “Advanced Stratified Charge Rotary Aircraft Engine Design Study” Final Report, NASA CR-165398 1981
- Yamamoto K. Muroki T. “Development on Exhaust Emissions and Fuel Economy of the Rotary Engine at Toyo Kogyo” Paper No. 780417 presented at SAE Congress and Exposition Detroit February 1978
- Ward H.M. Griffith M.J. Miller G.E. Stephenson D.K. “Outboard Marine Corp's Production Rotary Combustion Snowmobile Engine” SAE Paper No. 730119 , presented at the International Automotive Engineering Congress Detroit, Michigan 1973
- Adam Andrei “Syvaro's SP-440, Air Cooled, Rotary-Trochoidal Engine” SAE Paper No. 800974 September 1980
- Lamping H.D. Galliers M.W. Wolosin S.W. “Rotary Combustion Engine Trochoid Coatings and Seals” SAE Paper No. 741043 , presented at SAE Automobile Engineering Meeting October 1974
- Jones C. Berkowitz M. “Multi-fuel Rotary Aircraft Engine” Paper No, AIAA-80-1237, presented at AIAA/SAE/ASME Joint Propulsion Conference June 1980
- Andon Jerar “Fuel Consumption Estimates of Stratified Charge Engines Installed in Five Vehicles” Final Report April 1980