This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Development of Aluminum Disc Wheel for Truck and Bus
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1982 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Lightening the weight of the materials of trucks and buses is getting more attentin from the view point of save-energy since the oil crisis. Because of this reason, high tensile strength steel plates, aluminum alloys and plastics are now much popular as the material of the trucks and buses.
By utilizing the existing hydraulic 9,000 tf press, Subitomo has, in co-operation with Isuzu Motors, Ltd., successfully developed and commercialized the beautiful aluminum wheels for the trucks and buses, which is superior with regard to the strength and durability, the 30% of the weight reduction of the wheel was achieved as compared to the steel disc wheels.
The application of aluminum wheels promises the reduction of fuel cost, allows more loading weight on the trucks and buses.
- Tadayoshi Noda - Sumitomo Metal Industries, Ltd., Osaka Steel Works
- Naoshige Ueki - Sumitomo Metal Industries, Ltd., Osaka Steel Works
- Hideo Komatsu - Sumitomo Metal Industries, Ltd., Central Research Laboratories
- Kouji Nishimoto - Isuzu Motors, Ltd., Research & Engineering Div.
- Takehisa Shimazu - Isuzu Motors, Ltd., Research & Engineering Div.
CitationNoda, T., Ueki, N., Komatsu, H., Nishimoto, K. et al., "Development of Aluminum Disc Wheel for Truck and Bus," SAE Technical Paper 820343, 1982, https://doi.org/10.4271/820343.