This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Closed Loop Automobile Maneuvers Using Describing Function Models
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1982 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Two computer models of drivers using describing function strategies have been successfully implemented in conjunction with a recently developed, all digital vehicle simulation. The driver models determine control inputs to the vehicle simulation by means of feedback loops. Two feedback loops, an outer one on lateral position and an inner one on heading angle are used to determine the steering commands needed to move the vehicle to the desired path. One feedback loop on forward velocity is used to determine braking and acceleration commands.
Full technical details of the method of implementation for each of the models are given. The results of sample simulations of the driver-vehicle system are shown and the results discussed.
CitationGarrott, W., Wilson, D., and Scott, R., "Closed Loop Automobile Maneuvers Using Describing Function Models," SAE Technical Paper 820306, 1982, https://doi.org/10.4271/820306.
- McHenry R. R. Deleys N. J. “Automobile Dynamics - A. Computer Simulation of Three-Dimensional Motions for Use in Studies of Braking Systems and of the Driving Task” Cornell Aeronautical Laboratory Rept. No. VJ-2251-V-7 August 1970
- Jindra F. “Mathematical Model of Four-Wheel Vehicle for Hybrid Computer Vehicle Handling Program” DOT-HS-801-800 Ultrasystems, Inc. Oct. 1975
- Bohn P. F. Keenan R. J. “Improved Hybrid Computer Vehicle Handling Program” Applied Physis Laboratory The Johns Hopkins University Oct. 1978
- Garrott W. R. Wilson D. L. White A. M. Scott R. A. “Improvement of Mathematical Models for Simulation of Vehicle Handling, Volume 4: User's Guide for the General Simulation,” Final Report to National Highway Traffic Safety Administration under Contract No. DOT-HS-7-01715 July 1979
- Garrott W. R. Wilson D. L. Scott R. A. “Improvement of Mathematical Models for Simulation of Vehicle Handling, Volume 7: Technical Manual,” Final Report to National Highway Traffic Safety Administration under Contract No. DOT-HS-7-01715 March 1980
- Garrott W. R. Wilson D. L. Scott R. A. “An All-Digital Simulation for Open-and-Closed-Loop Automobile Maneuvers” Simulation September 1981 83 91
- Kroll C. V. et al “A Preview-Predictor Model of Driver Behavior in Emergency Situations” Cont. No. CPR-11-3988, Federal Highway Administration 1970
- McReur D. T. Klein R. H. “Automobile Controllability-Driver/Vehicle Response for Steering Control” Systems Technology Inc., Final Report to National Highway Traffic Safety Administration under Contract No. DOT-HS-359-3-762
- Donges E. “A Two-Level Model of Driver Steering Behavior” Human Factors 20 1978 691 707
- Billing A. M. “Modelling Driver Steering in Normal and Severe Maneuvers” An Overview of Simulation in Highway Transportation Bernard J. E. Simulation Councils, Inc. Dec. 1977 151 165
- Wong R. E. Seitzman M. Chiang S. L. Matle C. C. “A Study of the Aerodynamic Effects and Stability Characteristics of Buses, Vol. 2: Technical Report” DOT-HS-800-798 Nov. 1972