This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Stability and Performance Analysis of Automobile Driver Steering Control
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 1, 1982 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper reviews and expands previously published driver steering control models. The driver model is structured to control vehicle heading angle and lane position. Field test data are used to validate model structure. The closed-loop stability of the driver/vehicle system is analyzed using a two degree of freedom vehicle dynamics approximation. This analysis is used to develop constraints among the various driver model parameters and their dependence on vehicle characteristics. Driver/vehicle model approximations are also used to explore the effects of driver behavior on steering performance.
CitationAllen, R., "Stability and Performance Analysis of Automobile Driver Steering Control," SAE Technical Paper 820303, 1982, https://doi.org/10.4271/820303.
- McRuer D. T., “Simplified Automobile Steering Dynamics for Driver Control,” Presented at SAE Aerospace Control and Guidance Systems Committee Meeting No. 35, Palo Alto, CA, 19-21 Mar. 1975.
- McRuer D. T., Weir D. H., Jex H. R., Magdaleno R. E., and Allen R. W., “Measurement of Driver/Vehicle Multiloop Properties with a Single Disturbance Input.” IEEE Trans., Vol. SMC-5, No. 5, Sept. 1975, pp. 490-497.
- Allen R. W. and McRuer D. T., “The Effect of Adverse Visibility on Driver Steering Performance in an Automobile Simulator,” SAE Transactions, 1977, pp. 1081-1092.
- Donges E., “A Two-Level Model of Driver Steering Behavior,” Human Factors, Vol. 20, No. 6, Dec. 1978, pp. 691.
- Allen R. W. and McRuer D. T., “The Man/Machine Control Interface - Pursuit Control,” Automatica, Vol. 15, No. 6, Nov. 1979, pp. 683-686.
- McRuer D. T., and Krendel E. S., “Mathematical Models of Human Pilot Behavior,” AGARD-AG-188, Jan. 1974.
- Allen R. W., O'Hanlon J. F., McRuer, D. T. et al, Driver's Visibility Requirements for Roadway Delineation. Vol. I: Effects of Contrast and Configuration on Driver Performance and Behavior, FHWA-RD-77-165, Nov. 1977.
- Delp P., Crossman E. R. F. W., and Szostak H., “Estimation of Automobile Driver Describing Functions from Highway Tests Using the Double Steering Wheel”, In Proceedings of the 7th Annual Conference on Manual Control, NASA SP-281, 1971, pp. 223-236.
- Crossman E. R. F. W., and Szostak H. T., “Man-Machine Models for Car Steering,”, In Proceedings of the 4th Annual Conference on Manual Control NASA SP-192, 1969, pp. 171-195.
- McRuer D., and Klein R., “Effects of Automobile Steering Characteristics on Driver/Vehicle Performance for Regulation Tasks,” Paper760778, presented at SAE Automobile Engineering Meeting, Detroit, 18-22 Oct. 1976.
- McRuer D. T., Allen R. W., weir D. H. and Klein R. H., “New Results in Driver Steering Control Models,” Human Factors, Vol. 19, No. 4, Aug. 1977, pp. 381-397.