This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Divided-Chamber Diesel Engine, Part II: Experimental Validation of a Predictive Cycle-Simulation and Heat Release Analysis
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1982 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In this study, a set of performance and emissions data, obtained from a single-cylinder divided-chamber automotive diesel engine over the normal engine operating range, is described and analyzed. The data are used to evaluate a computer simulation of the engine's operating cycle, described in a companion paper, which predicts the properties of gases inside the engine cylinder throughout the cycle, and engine efficiency, power and NOx emissions. Satisfactory agreement between predictions and measurements is obtained over most of the engine's operating range.
The characteristics of the experimental pre- and main-chamber pressure versus crank angle data are then examined in detail. A heat release analysis appropriate for divided-chamber diesel engines is developed and used to obtain heat release rate profiles through the combustion process. A useful method for estimating the heat transfer during combustion from the heat release profile and the heating value of the injected fuel is developed and applied to this data base.
- Raja T. Kort - Sloan Automotive Laboratory Massachusetts Institute of Technology Cambridge, MA
- S. Hossein Mansouri - Sloan Automotive Laboratory Massachusetts Institute of Technology Cambridge, MA
- John B. Heywood - Sloan Automotive Laboratory Massachusetts Institute of Technology Cambridge, MA
- Agop Ekchian - Sloan Automotive Laboratory Massachusetts Institute of Technology Cambridge, MA
CitationKort, R., Mansouri, S., Heywood, J., and Ekchian, A., "Divided-Chamber Diesel Engine, Part II: Experimental Validation of a Predictive Cycle-Simulation and Heat Release Analysis," SAE Technical Paper 820274, 1982, https://doi.org/10.4271/820274.
- Mansouri, S.H. Heywood, J.B. Radhakrishnan, K. “Divided-Chamber Diesel Engine, Fart I: A Cycle Simulation which Predicts Performance and Emissions” SAE paper 820273 1982
- Simpson, H.R.D. “Effect of Operating Conditions on the Particulates from a Single Cylinder Diesel Engine” S.M. Thesis, Dept of Mech Eng, Massachusetts Institute of Technology December 1980
- Gladden, G. “Lumped Parameter Model of a Fuel Injection System” S.B. Thesis, Dept of Mech Eng, Massachusetts Insititute of Technology June 1980
- Kort, R.T. “Analysis of a Divided-Chamber Diesel Engine: Performance and Emissions Data” S.M. Thesis, Dept of Mech Eng, Massachusetts Institute of Technology May 1981
- Watson, N. Kamel, M. “Thermodynamic Efficiency Evaluation of an Indirect Injection Diesel Engine” SAE paper 790039 1979
- Bracco, F.V. O'Rourke, P.J. “A Review of Initial Comparisons of Computed and Measured Two-Dimensional Unsteady Flame Fields” Prog. in Energy and Comb. Sci. 7 2 103 124 1981