This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
An Influence of Reciprocating Motion of Rotary Shaft on Sealing Characteristics of Oil Seals for Automotive Transmission
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1982 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
It is clear that excessive lip wear is one of the origin of oil seal leakage in the market. In this paper, follows are discussed; Oil seals used for the rear side of automotive mission gear case have excessive lip wear as typical failure mode, and the sealing characteristics of oil seals is influenced by reciprocating motion of rotational shaft with rough surface.
|Technical Paper||The Effect of Environmentally Conditioned Gear Lubricants on Unitized Radial Lip Oil Seals|
|Technical Paper||Elastomeric Materials for Engine and Transmission Gaskets|
CitationHirabayashi, H., Yukimasa, T., Seya, S., Ohtaki, M. et al., "An Influence of Reciprocating Motion of Rotary Shaft on Sealing Characteristics of Oil Seals for Automotive Transmission," SAE Technical Paper 820144, 1982, https://doi.org/10.4271/820144.
- Hirabayashi, H. Ohtaki M. Tanoue, H. “Troubles and countermeasures on oil seals for automotive application” SAE Paper No. 790346 1979 1 20
- Brink, R. V. “Shaft seal theory” Textbook of ASLE Fluid Sealing 1969 1 27
- Hirano F. Ishiwata, H. “The lubricating condition of a lip seal” I. Mech. E. Symposium on elastohydrodynamic lubrication, 1965, and Proc. IME 180 3B 1965-66 187 196
- Symons, J. “Lip motion -- an important factor in seal design and performance” ASLE Transactions 19 2 1976 135 145
- VanDeven, D. A. “Shaft surface processing versus seal performance” Proc. of Seal Symp., GM - 532 1965 100 116
- Hirabayashi H. Ohtaki, M. “An influence of rotary shaft variable on sealing performance of oil seals” Machine Design (Japan) 24 15 1980 62 69
- Kawahara, Y. Abe M. Hirabayashi, H. “An analysis of sealing characteristics of oil seals” ASLE Transactions 23 1 1980 93 102
- Hirabayashi, H. Yukimasa T. Uchino, K. “Effect of quantity of lubricating oil on sealing characteristics of oil seals” SAE Paper No. 780406 1978 1 16
- Kawahara, Y. Abe M. Hirabayashi, H. “Effect of surface condition of lip on sealing phenomena of oil seals” SAE Paper No. 780405 1978 1 12
- Hirabayashi, H. Kawahara Y. Muto, Y. “A study of lubrication characteristics on valvestem seals for automobile engines” SAE Paper No. 790350 1979 1 12