This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Effect of Chemical Composition on Sag Resistance of Suspension Spring
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1982 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper summarizes a laboratory study aimed at revealing the effect of chemical elements. Si, Cr, Mo and V, on the sag resistance and developing new steels with all the characteristics required for suspension coil spring in comparison with AISI 9260. It was found that as far as sag resistance is concerned an optimum silicon content exist (1.5 silicon) and chromium deteriorates sag resistance and molybdenum and vanadium improve it. Further studies showed that Si-Cr-V steels are the best spring steels available, particularly 1.5Si-0.5Cr-G.2V steel has all the required characteristics, e.g., good sag resistance, good decarburizing resistance and sufficient hardenability.
|Technical Paper||Sag Resistance OF Si-Mo and Si-Cr Spring Steels|
|Technical Paper||Fatigue Properties of a New Martensitic Stainless Steel for Hot Stamped Chassis Parts|
CitationKawakami, H., Yamada, Y., Ashida, S., and Shiwaku, K., "Effect of Chemical Composition on Sag Resistance of Suspension Spring," SAE Technical Paper 820128, 1982, https://doi.org/10.4271/820128.
- Purr, S.T. “Development of a New Laboratory Test Method for Spring Steels,” Trans. ASME 71-Met-T
- Chishima, K. Ohara M. Uchibori, K. “On Anti-Creep Property of High Stress Coil Springs Made of SAE 9254,” Paper 10 presented at JSSR (Society of Spring Research of Japan) 1978
- Niikura, Y. Ogawa N. Takahashi, E. “The Sag Resistance of High-Si Spring Steel,” Paper 1 presented at JSSR 1978
- Yamazaki, Y. Inoue K. Honma, T. “Oil Tempered Wire - SUP 7, ” Paper 5 presented at JSSR 1978
- Miyake, F. Kobayashi, T. Kurimoto, M. Kozone T. Yokote, N. “Effect of Si and Cr on Mechanical Properties of High Stress Spring Steels,” Paper 3 presented at JSSR 1981
- Graves, G.B. “Stress Relaxation of Springs” WIRE INDUSTRY 1979
- Furr, S.T. “Laboratory Studies of Low-Chromium and Chromium-Free Steels for Suspension Coil Springs” Paper 800479 presented at SAE Congress and Exposition 1980
- Niikura, Y. Ogawa N. Takahashi, E. “The Sag Resistance of High-Si Spring Steel” JSSR 24 1979
- Steel and Alloying Element Seibundo Shinkosha Japan 1966
- Tata, H.J. Driscoll E.R. Kary, J.J. “Steels for Automotive Coil Springs with Improved Resistance to Relaxation” Paper 800480 presented at SAE Congress and Exposition 1980
- Hempel, M. “Fatigue Tests on Steel Wire” DRAFT English Edition 22 1956
- Collin, K. Gunnarson S. Thulin, D. “A Mechanical Model for Predicting Carbon Concentration Profiles of Gas-Carburized Steel” JISI, Oct 1972