This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Cost Effectiveness of Minicomputers versus Main Frames for Structural Analysis Problems
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published November 01, 1981 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A study of the cost effectiveness of minicomputers vs. main frames for structural analysis programs is described. The study compares the performance of several finite element programs including SAP IV and SPAR. Most of the runs were performed with the Illinois Institute of Technology PRIME 400 minicomputer and the United Computing System UNIVAC 1100/81 main frame. Other computers were used selectively. The matrix of structural problems included beam, plate and shell problems and static, dynamic and nonlinear analysis.
CitationHaftka, R. and Von Mayrhauser, A., "The Cost Effectiveness of Minicomputers versus Main Frames for Structural Analysis Problems," SAE Technical Paper 811319, 1981, https://doi.org/10.4271/811319.
- Storaasli O. O. Foster, E. P. “Cost-Effective Use of Minicomputers to Solve Structural Problems.” AIAA Paper 78-484 1978
- Lykos, P. “Minicomputers and Large Scale Computations,” American Chemical Society 1977
- Pearson, P. K. Lucchese, R. R. Miller, W. H. Schaefer, H. F. III “Theoretical Chemistry Via Minicomputer,” in Lykos, 1977 171 190 1977
- Norbeck J. M. Certain, P. R. “Large Scale Computations on a Virtual Memory Minicomputer,” in Lykos, 1977 191 199 1977
- Wagner, A. F. Day, P. Van Buskirk, R. Wahl, A. C. “Computation in Quantum Chemistry on a Multi-Experiment Control and Data-Acquisition on a Sigma 5 Minicomputer,” in Lykos, 1977 200 217 1977
- Freuler R. J. Petrie, S. L. “An Effective Mix of Minicomputer Power and Large Scale Computers for Complex Fluid Mechanical Calculations,” in Lykos, 1977 218 234 1977
- ANL-AUA Proposal Development Team “National Resource for Computation in Chemistry: Perspectives on Minicomputers,” mimeographed position paper 1977
- Swanson, J. A. “Present Trends in Computerized Structural Analysis,” Computers and Structures 10 33 37 1979
- Conaway, J. H. “The Economics of Structural Analysis on Superminis,” Proceeding 7th ASCE Conference on Electronic Computation 1979 374 385 1979
- Whetstone, W. D. “SPAR Structural Analysis System Reference Manual,” NASA CR 158970, Dec 1978
- Giles G. L. Haftka, R. T. “SPAR Data Handling Routines,” NASA TM-78701 1978
- Bathe, K. J. Wilson E. L. Peterson, F. E. “SAP IV — A Structural Analysis Program for Static and Dynamic Response of Linear Systems,” Earthquake Engineering Research Center, Report EERC 73-11 University of California Berkeley 1974
- Malkus D. S. Fuller, E. R. “An Isoparametric Finite Element Model for Large Strain Elastostatics,” Journal of Research 86 no. 1 79 109 1981
- Lias, E. J. “Tracking the Elusive K0P5,” Datamation, November 1980 99 105 1980
- Cotton, I. W. “Microeconomics and the Market for Computer Services,” Computing Surveys 7 2 1975 95 111