This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Application of Modal Modeling and Mount System Optimization to Light Duty Truck Ride Analysis
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published November 01, 1981 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A basic review of vehicle modal modeling techniques is presented and applied to determine the vibrational shake characteristics of a light duty pickup truck subjected to tire force variation and random road surface dynamic loads. Comparisons of natural vibration frequencies and random road response between a prototype pickup and the vehicle model are presented to establish the level of correlation.
A computer optimization technique is applied to tune the body, engine, and transmission mount system of the vehicle model until the vibration levels are minimized. Simultaneous reduction in road and tire induced vibration response of the model is achieved.
CitationDuncan, A., "Application of Modal Modeling and Mount System Optimization to Light Duty Truck Ride Analysis," SAE Technical Paper 811313, 1981, https://doi.org/10.4271/811313.
- Benfield W. A. Hruda, R. F. “Vibration Analysis of Structures by Component Mode Substitution,” AIAA Journal 9 7 1971 1255 1261
- Butkunas, A. A. “Power Spectral Density and Ride Evaluation,” SAE Paper No. 660138 1966
- Townley, G. E. Klahs, Joseph W. “Dynamic Simulation of an Automobile Body Utilizing Finite Element and Modal Synthesis Techniques,” SAE Paper No. 780364 , February 1978
- Meirovitch, L. “Analytical Methods in Vibrations,” The Macmillan Company 1967
- Walgrave, S. C. Ehlbeck, James M. “Understanding Modal Analysis,” SAE Paper No. 780695 , August 1978
- Thompson, W. T. “Vibration Theory and Applications,” Prentice-Hall Inc 1965
- Guyan, R. J. “Reduction of Stiffness and Mass Matrices,” AlAA Journal 3 2 1965 380
- Nelson, M. F. “The Use of Condensation Techniques for Solving Dynamics Problems,” SAE Paper No. 740330 , March 1974
- McClelland W. A. Klosterman, A. L. “NASTRAN for Dynamic Analysis of Vehicle Systems,” SAE Paper No. 740326 , March 1974
- Davis, J. C. “Modal Modeling Techniques for Vehicle Shake Analysis,” SAE Paper No. 720045 1972
- Lins, W. F. “Vehicle Vibration Analysis Using Frequency Domain Techniques,” Journal of Engineering for Industry, Trans. ASME 91 1969 1075 1080
- Howell, L. J. “Power Spectral Density Analysis of Vehicle Vibration Using the NASTRAN Computer Program,” SAE Paper No. 740328 , March 1974
- Howell, L. J. Private communication, March 29 1981
- Van Duesen, B. D. “Analytical Techniques for Designing Riding Quality into Automotive Vehicles,” SAE Transactions 76 670021 1967
- Majcher, J. S. “Analysis of Vehicle Suspensions with Static and Dynamic Computer Simulations,” SAE Paper No. 760183 1976
- Smith, C. C. “The Prediction of Passenger Riding Comfort from Acceleration Data,” Transactions of the ASME, Vol 100 34 41 1978
- Kamal M. M. Wolf, J. A. “Finite Element Models for Automotive Vehicle Vibrations,” 1977 ASME Vibrations Conference, September 26-26 1977
- Butkunnas, A. A. “Random Vibration Analysis and Vehicle Development,” SAE Paper No. 690109 1969
- Bennett, J. A. Nelson, M. F. “An Optimization Capability for Automotive Structures,” SAE Paper No. 790972 , October 1979
- Baum, J. H. “Truck Ride Improvement Using Analytical and Optimization Methods,” SAE Paper No. 770609 1977
- Johnson S. R. Subhedar, J. W. “Computer Optimization of Engine Mounting Systems,” SAE Paper No. 790974 1979
- Vail, C. F. “A Modal Synthesis Technique for Determining Dynamic Properties of a Structure for Mass and Stiffness Changes,” SAE Paper No. 740329 1974
- Reed, F. Everett “Dynamic Vibration Absorbers and Auxiliary Mass Dampers,” Chap. 6, “Shock and Vibration Handbook,” McGraw - Hill Book Co. New York 1976