This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Evaluation of Structural Strength Capacity of Bus Body Structures
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published November 01, 1981 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
For severe frontal and side impact loads, the passenger compartment of small buses does not retain its initial geometry, and plastic deformations are inevitable. Therefore, linear analysis alone is insufficient for the analysis and an elasto-plastic analysis technique for evaluating the structural strength capacity and the inelastic deformation characteristics must be considered. A three-dimensional mathematical model of the passenger compartment was prepared using the finite element simulation method. A three-dimensional elasto-plastic structural analysis was developed along with a computer program, named EPSAP, to evaluate the structural strength capacity of the passenger compartment under quasi-static loading conditions. The procedure provides a technique for: (1) tracing the load-displacement history of a space frame structure, (2) determining the collapse or the ultimate load, (3) predicting the collapse mode, and (4) evaluating the energy absorption capacity.
CitationMonasa, F. and Chipman, T., "Evaluation of Structural Strength Capacity of Bus Body Structures," SAE Technical Paper 811305, 1981, https://doi.org/10.4271/811305.
- Huang, Y. “Finite Element Method-Structure Analysis by Simulation” SAE Paper 730446 , Earthmoving Industry Conference, Central Illinois Section, Peoria, Illinois, April 2-4 1973 1 8
- Kirioka, K. Hotta, Y. Saji, H. “Elasto-Plastic Analysis of Automobile Body Structure by the Finite Element Method” SAE Paper 740039 , Automotive Engineering Congress, Detroit, Mich., February 25-March 1 1974 1 9
- Chang, D. C. Kan, Y. R. “Elasto-Plastic Analysis of an Automobile Body Structure” Proceedings of the International Conference on Computational Methods in Nonlinear Mechanics University of Texas at Austin 1974 695 704
- Kajio, Y. Hagiwara, I. “Non-Linear Analysis of Car Body Structure” SAE Paper 760022 , Automotive Engineering Congress and Exposition, Detroit, Mich., February 23-27 1976 1 11
- Yeh, R. E. Huang, Y. Johnson, E. “An Analytical Procedure for the Support of R0PS Design” SAE Paper 760690 , Off-Highway Vehicle Meeting, Milwaukee, Wisconsin, Sept. 13-16 1976 1 10
- Tidbury, G. H. Miles, J. “Collapse Analysis of Automotive Structures Using Finite Element Techniques” Proceeding, 16th International Automobile Technical Congress Tokyo, Japan 1976 17 22
- Pistler, R. A. “Computer Analysis of Rollover Protective Structures” Presented at SESA Spring Meeting and Expo., Chicago, Illinois, May 11-16 1975
- Chang, D. C. “A Design-Analysis Method for the Frontal-Crush Strength of Body Structures” Proceedings of the 2nd International Conference on Vehicle Structural Mechanics, P-71, SAE Paper 770593 1977 33 41
- Fine, D. S. “Elastic-Plastic Finite Element Analysis of Vehicle Structural Components” Proceedings of the 2nd International Conference on Vehicle Structural Mechanics, P-71, SAE Paper 770614 1977 263 266
- Kecman, D. Miles, J. C. “Application of the Finite Element Method to the Door Intrusion and Roof Crush Analysis of a Passenger Car” Proceedings of the 3rd International Conference on Vehicle Structural Mechanics, P-83, SAE Paper 790990 1979 191 197
- Sadeghi, M. M. Tidbury, G. H. “Bus Rollover Accident Simulation” Proceedings of the 3rd International Conference on Vehicle Structural Mechanics, P-83, SAE Paper 790994 1979 255 265
- Wang, C. K. “General Computer Program for Limit Analysis” Journal of the Structural Division, ASCE, Vol. 89, No. ST6, Proc. Paper 3719 1963 101 117
- Harrison, H. B. Computer Methods in Structural Analysis Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs New Jersey 1973 207 234
- Harrison, H. B. “Plastic Analysis of Rigid Frames of High-Strength Steel Accounting for Deformation Effects” Civil Engineering Transactions, The Institution of Engineers Australia 1967 127 136
- Przemieniecki, J. S. Theory of Matrix Structural Analysis McGraw-Hill, New York New York 1968 386 391
- Miles, J. C. “The Determination of Collapse Load and Energy Absorbing Properties of Thin Walled Beam Structures Using Matrix Methods of Analysis” International Journal of Mechanical Sciences 18 Nos. 7 & 8 1976 399 405
- Dawson, R. G. Walker, A. C. “A Proposed Method for the Design of Thin-Walled Beams Which Buckle Locally” The Structural Engineer 50 No. 2 1972 95 105
- Wei-Wen Yu Cold-Formed Steel Structures McGraw-Hill, New York N.Y. 1973 53 102
- SAP V2 Users Manual, SAP Users Group, Department of Civil Engineering, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, California.
- Bathe, K. Wilson, E. L. Peterson, F. E. “SAP IV A Structural Analysis Program for Static and Dynamic Response of Linear Systems” Report No. EERC 73-11 College of Engineering, University of California Berkeley, California 1974
- Kanal, M. M. “Analysis and Simulation of Vehicle to Barrier Impact” SAE Transactions, 79, SAE Paper No. 700414 1970
- Chi-Mou Ni Fine, David S. “Predicting Crush Response of Automotive Structural Components” SAE Transactions, 87, SAE Paper No. 780671 1978
- Ni C. M. Fine, D. S. “Recent Advances in the Analysis of Automotive Vehicle Crashworthiness” GMR-3070, General Motors Research Laboratories, Warren, Michigan 48090
- Severy, D. M. Brink, H. M. Baird, J. D. “School Bus Passenger Protection” SAE Transactions, Paper No. 670040 , 76, Sec. 1 1967 290 377