This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A General Purpose Analytical Technique for Nonlinear Dynamic Response of Integrated Structures
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published November 01, 1981 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper is concerned with a general purpose analytical technique and an associated computer program, “NONDRIS,” for analyzing the nonlinear dynamic response of integrated structures. The “NONDRIS” program includes beam, plate, spring (or truss), and rigid-body elements in its element library. This analytical technique has been developed for dealing with the linear and nonlinear dynamic response of both a single structural component and a multiple-member structural system, with special emphasis on the crash response of vehicle structures.
An effective finite difference scheme modified for irregular mesh has been applied for developing the beam and plate elements. Geometric and material nonlinearities like strain-rate sensitivity and strain-hardening are included. A nonlinear spring element and a rigid-body element with six degrees of freedom are also included to form this general purpose analytical technique.
The validity of this analytical technique is illustrated in three example problems analyzed with the “NONDRIS” program. The three example problems include: 1) the vehicle barrier impact response at 48 km/h; 2) the oblique impact respone of a two-dimensional framed structural system; and 3) t.he in-plane crush response of an integrated beam and plate structure. In all three problems, very reasonable correlations between analysis and experiment have been observed.
CitationNi, C., "A General Purpose Analytical Technique for Nonlinear Dynamic Response of Integrated Structures," SAE Technical Paper 811304, 1981, https://doi.org/10.4271/811304.
- Kamal, M. M. “Analysis and Simulation of Vehicle-Co-Barrier Impact,” SAE Transactions , 79, SAE Paper No. 700414 1970
- Lin, K. H. “A Rear-End Barrier Impact Simulation Model for Unibody Passenger Cars,” SAE Transactions . 82, SAE Paper No. 730156 1973
- Anon “MARC, Nonlinear Finite Element Analysis Program -- User’s Unformation Manual,” Control Data Corporation 1971
- Swanson, J. A. “ANSYS -- Engineering Analysis System User’s Manual,” Swanson Analysis Systems Inc., Elizabeth, PA 1975
- Pifko, A. B. Winter, R. “Theory and Application of Finite Element Analysis to Structural Crash Simulation,” Computers & Structures. 13 1980
- Welsh, R. E. Bruce, R. W. Belytscko, T. “Finite Element Analysis of Automotive Structures Under Crash Loadings,” Report No. DOT-HS-810847, DOT 1976
- Ni, C. M. “Impact Response of Curved Box Beam Columns with Large Global and Local Deformations,” Proceedings of the 14th Structures, Structural Dynamics, and Materials Conference, AIAA Paper No. 73-401 1973
- Ni, C. M. Fine, D. S. “Predicting Crash Response of Automotive Structural Components,” SAE Transactions . 87, SAE Paper No. 780671 1978
- Meredith, D. Witmer, E. A. Morman, K. N. “Computer Code for Predicting the Two-Dimensional Nonlinear Dynamic Response of Beam Structures Subjected to Transient Loads and Impacts,” Proceedings of the 3rd International Conference on Vehicle Structural Mechanics 83 1979
- Ni, C. M. “A Numerical Method for Nonliner Impact Analysis of Planar Frames,” Proceedings of the First International Conference on Computational Methods in Nonlinear Mechanics 1974
- Ni, C. M. “A Quadrilateral Finite Difference Plate Element for Nonlinear Transient Analysis of Panels,” General Motors Research Laboratories Publication GMR-2921 Warren, MI 1979
- Ni, C. M. Lin, K. H. “A Mixed Method of Crash Analysis for Vehicle Structures,” Proceedings of the 18th Structures, Structural Dynamics, and Materials Conference, AIAA Paper No. 77-370 1977
- Hagiwasa, I. Sasakura, Y. Nakagawa, T. Kajio, Y. “Vehicle Crash Simulation Using Hybrid Model,” SAE Paper No. 810476 1981
- Perrone, N. Kao, R. “A General Finite Difference Method for Arbitrary Meshes,” Computers and Structures 5 1975
- Lee, L. H. N. Ni, C. M. “A Minimum Principle in Dynamics of Elastic-Plastic Continua at Finite Deformation,” Archive of Mechanics 25 456 1973
- Lin, K. H. Augustitus, J. A. Kamal, M. M. “Computer Simulation of Vehicle-to-Barrier Impact - A User’s Guide,” General Motors Research Laboratories Publication GMR-1943 Warren, MI 1975
- Lynch, R. D. Kelsey, S. Saxe, H. C. “The Application of DR to the Finite Element Method of Structural Analysis,” Tech. Report No. THEMIS-UND-68-1, University of Notre Dame 1968
- Papadrakakls, M. “A Method for the Automatic Evaluation of the Dynamic Relaxation Parameters,” Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering 25 1981
- Abramowicz, W. Wierzbicki, T. “A Kinematic Approach to Crushing of Shell Structures,” 3rd International Conference on Vehicle Structural Mechanics 1979