This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
1983 Ranger Pickup
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published November 01, 1981 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The Ford Ranger will be a domestically built, small pickup truck engineered to many design objectives typical of a fullsize pickup, yet with four cylinder engine fuel efficiency. Ranger is a full-function on-and-off road pickup truck with a uniquely smooth ride and a capacity to carry up to a 725.7 kg. (1600 lb.) payload. The truck features a three passenger body-on-frame cab and a double wall pickup box with provision for 1.2m × 2.4m (4 ft. × 8 ft.) sheets of construction material. Featured in this comprehensive paper are the engineering highlights and innovations contributing to the accomplishment of these Small Truck objectives. Of particular significance are:
styling for aerodynamic efficiency
industry firsts in special uses of lightweight material
downsizing the Ford 4×2 and 4×4 twin-I-beam front suspensions
harmonically indexed wheels and tires at assembly
improved reliability actions in body and chassis design, manufacturing, and assembly
computer graphics and computer assisted design analysis
implementation of an assembly plant employe involvement program.
|Technical Paper||A Technique for Cargo Box Tailgate CAE Fatigue Life Predictions Loaded with Inertial Forces and Moments|
|Technical Paper||Axle Weight Reduction with Improved Durability via Finite Element Analysis|
CitationLittle, J., "1983 Ranger Pickup," SAE Technical Paper 811270, 1981, https://doi.org/10.4271/811270.
- Heywood, J. E. Muller, G. H. Jurosek, M. L. “Twin-I-Beam: A Unique Truck Independent Front Suspension” SAE Paper 982A, Automotive Engineering Congress Detroit, Michigan 1965
- Loosle, D. G. Leon, P. F. Danielson, C. R. “One Piece Stamped I-Beam Axle” SAE Paper 801425 , Truck Meeting, King of Prussia Pennsylvania 1980
- Bambenek, C. L. Mocarski, S. et al “1983 Ford Ranger Truck Lightweight Wheel from HSLA Steel” SAE Paper TBD
- Bedi, G. S. Lake, W. H. R. “Evolution of the New Ford Light Truck Four Wheel Drive Independent Front Suspension” SAE Paper 791035 , Truck Meeting Ft. Wayne, IN. 1979
- Smith K. V. Stornant, R. F. “Cumulative Damage Approach to Durability Route Design” SAE Paper 791033 , Truck Meeting Fort Wayne, IN. November 5-8, 1979