This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Performance and Emission Characteristics of a Diesel Engine Burning Unstabilized Emulsions of Diesel Fuel with Water, Methanol, and Ethanol
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 01, 1981 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This study was performed to compare the effects of water, methanol, and ethanol as internal phases in the unstabilized emulsions of diesel fuel formed in the injection line on the performance and exhaust emission characteristics of a compression-ignition engine. The experiments were performed with a single cylinder, direct injection, air-cooled engine and the various emulsions were tested under practically identical operational conditions. The results indicate that (a) thermal efficiency decreases when diesel fuel is emulsified with water or ethanol and slightly increases when it is emulsified with methanol and (b) among the liquids tried, water is the most suitable internal-phase for curtailing particulates and CO in the exhaust, whereas ethanol is the best internal-phase for decreasing the emissions of NOX and UBHC.
CitationKhan, N. and Gollahalli, S., "Performance and Emission Characteristics of a Diesel Engine Burning Unstabilized Emulsions of Diesel Fuel with Water, Methanol, and Ethanol," SAE Technical Paper 811210, 1981, https://doi.org/10.4271/811210.
- Hall, R.E. “The Effect of Water-Distillate Oil Emulsions on Pollutants and Efficiency of Residential and Commercial Heating Systems”, Paper 75-01-4 , APCA, Meeting, 1975, Boston, June 15-20.
- Greeves, C. Khan,I.M. and Onion, G. “Effects of Water Introduction on Diesel Engine Combustion and Emission”, Sixteenth Symposium (International) on Combustion, the Combustion Institute, p. 325, 1973.
- CookD.H. and Law, C.K. “A Preliminary Study on the Utilization of Water-in-Oil Emulsions in Diesel Engines”, Combustion Science and Technology, 217, 18, 1978.
- Murayama, T. Tsukahara, M. Morishima,Y. and Miyamota, N. “Experimental Reduction of NOX, Smoke, and BSFC in a Diesel Engine Using Uniquely Produced Water (0-80%) to Fuel Emulsion”, SAE Paper No. 780224, 1978.
- StormentJ.O. and Coon, C.W. “Single Cylinder Diesel Engine Tests with Unstabilized Water in Fuel Emulsions”, Report CG-D-17-78, U.S. Coast Guard, 1978.
- Marshall, W.F. “Experiments with Novel Fuels for Diesel Engines”, Report BERC/TPR-77/8, U.S. Department of Energy, Bartlesville, 1978.
- Walter, R.A. “The Emulsions and Fuel Economy of a Detroit Diesel 6-71 Engine Burning 10%-Water in Fuel Emulsion”, Report CG-D-10-78, U.S. Coast Guard, 1978.
- Strait, J. Beodieker,J.J. and Johansen, K.C. “Diesel Oil and Ethanol Mixtures for Diesel Powered Farm Tractors”, SAE Paper 790958, 1979.
- Adelman, H. “Alcohols in Diesel Engines-A Review”, SAE Paper 790956, 1979.
- RyanT.W. III , Likos,W.E. and Moses,C.W. “The Use of Alcohol Emulsions as Fuels for Compression Ignition Engine - Experiments and Theories”, Paper presented at the Third Symposium on Emulsified Fuels in Combustion, Transportaion Systems Center, Cambridge, May 13-14, 1980.
- Haveman, H.A. Rao, M.R.K. Natarajan,A and Narashimhan, T.L. “Alcohols in Diesel Engines”, Automobile Engineer, June 1954.
- Gollahalli, S.R. Rasmussen,M.L. and Moussavi, S.J. “Combustion of Drops and Sprays of No. 2 Diesel Oil and Its Emulsions with Water”, Eighteenth Symposium (International) on Combustion, The Combustion Institute (in press).
- RasmussenM.L. and Gollahalli, S.R. “Analytic Approximate Solution for the Transient Combustion of a Composite Droplet”, Paper presented at the Eastern Section (Combustion Institute) Meeting, Atlanta, GA, Nov. 1979.
- JahaniH. and Gollahalli, S.R. “Characteristics of Burning Jet A Fuel and Jet A Fuel-Water Emulsion Sprays”, Combustion and Flame, 145, 37, 1980.
- GollahalliS.R. and Javadi, S.H. “Composition Structure of Burning Sprays of Jet A Fuel and its Emulsions with Water”, 25th International Gas Turbine Conference, ASME Paper 80-GT-57, 1980.
- Gollahalli, S.R. Rasmussen,M.L. and Salek, S.M. “Combustion of Drops and Sprays of Heavy Fuel Gils and Their Emulsions”, Report CG-D-64-80, U.S. Coast Guard, 1980.
- GollahalliS.R. and Javadi, S.H. “A Comparative Study of the Flame Structures of the Burning Sprays of the Emulsions of Jet A Fuel with Water and Methanol”, 19th AIAA Aerospace Sciences Meeting, St. Louis, MO, AIAA Paper 81-0326, 1981.
- Dryer, F.L. Rambach,G.D. and Glassman, I. “Some Preliminary Observations on the Combustion of Heavy Fuels and Water-in-Fuel Emulsions”, Paper presented at the Central Section (Combustion Institute) Meeting, Columbus, OH, 1976.
- Law, C.K. “A Model for the Combustion of Oil/Water Emulsion Drops”, Combustion Science and Technology, 29, 17, 1977.
- Law, C.K. Lee,C.H. and Srinivasan, N. “Combustion Characteristics of Water-in-Oil Droplets”, Combustion and Flame, 125, 37, 1980.
- Lasheras,J.C. Pello,A.C. Fernandez and Dryer,F.L. “Initial Observations on the Free Droplet Combustion Characteristics of Water-in-Fuel Emulsions”, Combustion Science and Technology, 1, 21, 1979.