This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Ethanol Fumigation of a Light Duty Automotive Diesel Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 01, 1981 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A light-duty automotive Diesel engine was fumigated with ethanol in amounts up to 50% of the total fuel energy. The main purpose of this study was to determine the effect of ethanol fumigation on engine performance at various operating conditions. Engine fuel efficiency, emissions, smoke, and the occurrence of severe knock were the parameters used to evaluate performance. Raw particulate and its soluble organic extract were screened for biological activity using the Ames Salmonella typhimurium assay.
Results are given for a test matrix made up of twelve steady-state operating conditions, For all conditions except the 1/4 rack (light load) condition, modest thermal efficiency gains were noted upon fumigation. However, engine roughness or the occurrence of severe knock limited the maximum amount of ethanol that could be fumigated. Brake specific NOX concentrations were found to decrease for all conditions tested. Based on the limited particulate data analyzed, it appears as though ethanol fumigation, while lowering the mass of particulate emitted, does enhance the biological activity of that particulate.
|Technical Paper||Aqueous Alcohol Fumigation of a Single-Cylinder DI Diesel Engine|
|Technical Paper||Ethanol Fumigation of a Turbocharged Diesel Engine|
|Technical Paper||The Effect of Fumigation of Different Ethanol Proofs on a Turbocharged Diesel Engine|
CitationBroukhiyan, E. and Lestz, S., "Ethanol Fumigation of a Light Duty Automotive Diesel Engine," SAE Technical Paper 811209, 1981, https://doi.org/10.4271/811209.
- Adelman, H. “Alcohol in Diesel Engines -A Review.” SAE Paper 790956 , Reprinted from Alcohols as Motor Fuels, SAE Progress in Technology Series 19 1980
- Holmer, E. “Methanol as. a Substitute Fuel in a Diesel Engine.” A. B. Volvo, Truck Division, S-40508 Goteborg, Sweden, Paper presented at the International Symposium on Alcohol Fuel Technology 1977
- Haveman, H. A. Rao, M. R. K. Nataragan, A. Narasimhan, T. L. “Alcohol in Diesel Engines.” Automobile Engineer 1954
- Moses, C. A. Ryan, T. W. Likos, W. E. “Experiments with Alcohol/Diesel Fuel Blends in Compression Ignition Engines.” Paper B-40, Proc. IV Intn’l. Alcohol Symp. sao paulo, brazil 1980
- Alperstein, M. Swim, W. B. Schweitzer, P. H. “Fumigation Kills Smoke, Improves Diesel Performance.” SAE Trans. 66 1958
- Rao B. Haragopula “An Analytical and Experimental Investigation of Charge Modification in a Compression Ignition Engine.” Doctoral Thesis in Mechanical Engineering The Banaras Hindu University 1977
- Cummings, D. R. Scott, W. M. “Dual Fueling the Truck Diesel with Methanol.” D.U.T. PTY Ltd. and Ricardo and Co., Engineers, Ltd., Paper presented at the International Symposium of Alcohol Fuel Technology Wolfsburg 1977
- Houser, K. R. Lestz, S. S. Dukovich, M. Yasbin, R. E. “Methanol Fumigation of a Light Duty Automotive Diesel Engine.” SAE Paper 801379 , Reprinted from Engine Fuels and Lubricants - A Perspective on the Future, SAE SP-471 1980
- Houser, K. R. Lestz, S. S. “The Utilization of Methanol in an Automotive Diesel Engine.” CAES Report #559-80 The Pennsylvania State University 1980
- Jones, J. H. Kingsburg, W. L. Lyon, H. H. Mutty, P. R. Thurston, K. W. “Development of a 5.7 Litre V8 Automotive Diesel Engine.” SAE Paper 780412 1978
- Barton, R. K. Lestz, S. S. Duke, L. C. “Knock Intensity as a Function of Engine Rate of Pressure Change.” SAE Paper 700061 1970
- Obert, E. F. “Internal Combustion Engines and Air Pollution,” Harper and Row Publishers, New York” 1973
- Ames, B. N. “A Bacterial System for Detecting Mutagens and Carcinogens.” Sutton H. E. Harris, M. I. in Mutagenic Effects of Environmental Contaminants Academic Press New York 57 66 1972
- Lewis Bernard Elbe Guenther von “Combustion, Flames and Explosions of Gases.” 2nd Academic Press New York 1967
- Johnson A. J. Auth, G. H. “Fuel and Combustion Handbook,” 1st New York MacGraw-Hill 1951
- Chen, J. Gussert, D. Gas, X. Gupta C. Foster, D. “Ethanol Fumigation of a Turbocharged Diesel Engine.” SAE Paper 810680 1981
- Gaydon A. G. Wolfhard, H. G. “Flames-Their Structure, Radiation and Temperature.” 4th Chapman and Hall London 1979