This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Aqueous Alcohol Fumigation of a Single-Cylinder DI Diesel Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 01, 1981 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A single-cylinder DI Diesel engine was fumigated with ethanol and methanol in amounts up to 55% of the total fuel energy. The primary objectives of this work were to determine the effects of aqueous alcohol fumigation on engine thermal efficiency, combustion intensity and gaseous exhaust emissions. Assessment of changes in the biological activity of raw particulate and its soluble organic fraction were also made using the Ames Salmonella typhimurium test.
Alcohol fumigation improved thermal efficiency slightly at moderate and heavy loads, but increased ignition delay at all operating conditions. Carbon monoxide emission generally increased with alcohol fumigation and showed no dependence on alcohol type or quality. Oxides of nitrogen emission showed a strong dependence on alcohol quality; relative NOX levels decreased with increasing water content of the fumigant. Particulate mass loading rates were lower for ethanol-fueled conditions. However, the biological activity of both the raw particulate and its soluble organic fraction was enhanced by ethanol fumigation at most operating conditions.
CitationHeisey, J. and Lestz, S., "Aqueous Alcohol Fumigation of a Single-Cylinder DI Diesel Engine," SAE Technical Paper 811208, 1981, https://doi.org/10.4271/811208.
- “Fuel Alcohol-An Energy Alternative for the 1980’8.” Final Report by U.S. National Alcohol Fuels Commission Washington, DC 1981
- Emert, G. H. et al., “Production and Use of Ethanol,” Cooperative Extension Service, University of Arkansas Division of Agriculture
- Adelman, H. G. Andrews D. G. Devoto, R. S. “Exhaust Emissions from a Methanol Fueled Automobile,” SAE Transactions 81 1972
- Pefley, R. K. et al., “Characteristics and Research Investigation of Methanol and Methyl Fuels,” DOE Contract No. EY-76-S-02-1258 Report, University of Santa Clara Santa Clara, CA 1972
- Bandel W. Ventura, L. M. “Problems in Adapting Ethanol Fuels to the Requirements of Diesel Engines.” Presented at IV International Symposium on Alcohol Fuel Technology 1980
- Cummins D. R. Scott, W. M. “Dual Fueling the Truck Diesel with Methanol,” Proc. Int. Symposium on Alcohol Fuel Tech. II 1977
- Bandel, W. “Problems in the Application of Ethanol as a Fuel for Utility Vehicles.” Presented at the Int. Symp. on Alcohol Fuel Tech. Germany 1977
- Adelman, H. G. “Utilization of Pure Alcohol Fuels in a Diesel Engine by Spark Ignition.” Paper B34, presented at IV Alcohol Symposium Brazil 1980
- Nagalingam, B. et al., “Surface Initiated Combustion of Alcohol in Diesel Engines - A New Approach.” SAE Paper 800262 1980
- Alperstein, M. Swim, W. B. Schweitzer, P. H. “Fumigation Kills Smoke, Improves Diesel Performance.” Burning a Wide Range of Fuels in Diesel Engines, SAE Publication, Progress in Technology 11 1962
- Panchapakeson, N. R. et al. “Factors That Improve the Performance of an Ethanol-Diesel Oil Dual Fuel Engine.” Indian Institute of Technology India 1977
- Houser, K. R. Lestz, S. S. Dukovich M. Yasbin, R. E. “Methanol Fumigation of a Light Duty Automotive Diesel Engine.” SAE Special Publication: SP 471 1980
- “Fuel Alcohol on the Farm - A primer on production and use.” U.S. National Alcohol Fuels Commission Washington, DC 1980
- Ames, B. N. “A Bacterial System for Detecting Mutagens and Carcinogens.” Sutton H. E. Harris, M. I. Academic Press New York 57 66 1972
- Heisey J. B. Lestz, S. S. “Performance and Emissions Characteristics of Aqueous Alcohol Fuels in a DI Diesel Engine.” CAES Report #590-81 The Pennsylvania State University 1981
- Chen, J. Gussert, D. Gao, X. Gupta, C. Foster, D. “Ethanol Fumigation of a Turbo-charged Diesel Engine.” SAE Paper 810680 1981