This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Structural Uncertainty in Dynamic Analysis
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 01, 1981 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Finite element modeling and computerized structural analysis are heavily relied upon in the design and development of engineered structures. Frequently, these structures are tested as a means of verifying the structural models. Vibration tests are performed to measure modal characteristics, which are then compared with computed frequencies and mode shapes. These comparisons contain basic information on structural uncertainty, which is herein defined as the difference between analytical and experimental estimates.
This paper presents a method for modeling structural uncertainty for generic classes of structures, based on actual analysis and test experience. It shows how the resulting generic statistical models can be applied to other structures of the same class, as a practical way of quantifying the accuracy of predicted frequencies, mode shapes and forced response, prior to testing. A realistic numerical example is presented to illustrate the general method. Statistical correlation is preserved throughout the process, and is traced through the numerical example.
|Technical Paper||Use of Response Surface Methodology for Prediction of Dent Resistance of Automotive Closure Panels|
|Ground Vehicle Standard||Rating Chart for Cantilevered Boom Cranes|
|Technical Paper||Front Rails Convolution Region Design Parameter Development|
CitationHasselman, T., "Structural Uncertainty in Dynamic Analysis," SAE Technical Paper 811049, 1981, https://doi.org/10.4271/811049.
- Hasselman T.K. Hart, Gary C. “Modal Analysis of Random Structural Systems.” ASCE Journal of the Engineering Mechanics Division 1972
- Haviland, Richard “A Study of the Uncertainties in the Fundamental Translational Periods and Damping Values for Real Bui dings.” Cambridge, MA M.I.T. School of Civil Engineering 1976
- Hasselman T.K. Simonian, S.S. “Structural Uncertainty in Seismic Risk Analysis.” Prepared for the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission, NUREG/CR-1560, UCRL-15218 1980
- Hasselman, T.K. “Modal Coupling in Lightly Damped Structures.” AIAA Journal 14 11 1976
- Lee L.T. Hasselman, T.K. “Model Verification of Large Structural Systems.” Redondo Beach, CA: J.H. Wiggins Company Techncial Report No. 78-1300 1978
- Lee L.T. Hasselman, T.K. “Dynamic Model Verification of Large Structural Systems” Paper No 781047 Presented at the Aerospace Meeting, Town & Country, San Diego, CA 1978