This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Airworthiness Considerations in the Design of Commercial Transport Aircraft
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 01, 1981 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper presents an overview of design considerations, design development, and maintenance practices required to certify a commercial transport aircraft and ensure continuing airworthiness in operation. Subjects discussed include philosophy and criteria of airworthiness with examples of their application; evolutionary nature of the design development; scope of development testing; and the process involving manufacturer, operator, and regulatory agency to ensure continuing airworthiness throughout the aircraft operational life. Also discussed are the recent revisions in airworthiness regulations, which, along with advances in technology, have resulted in changing trends in the approach to substantiating continuing airworthiness, particularly for structures.
|Technical Paper||Maintainability Concepts Used in the Design and Operation of Douglas Commercial Jet Aircraft|
|Technical Paper||Boeing 757/767 Commonality Design Philosophy|
|Technical Paper||Commercial Aircraft Certification for ETOPS Operations|
CitationKoch, J., "Airworthiness Considerations in the Design of Commercial Transport Aircraft," SAE Technical Paper 811039, 1981, https://doi.org/10.4271/811039.
- FAA “Airplane System Design Analysis,” Draft Advisory Circular, Docket No. AC25.1309-X 1980
- Gorham, John A. “Design and Development of the Fail Operative Automatic Landing System for the Lockheed L-1011,” SAE National Air Transportation Meeting 1969
- Flapper J. A. Throndsen, E. O. “L-1011 Flight Control System,” NATO Advisory Group for Aerospace Research and Development 1977
- O’Connell, R. F. “Design, Development, and Implementation of an Active Control System for Load Alleviation for a Commercial Transport Airplane,” presented at the 49th meeting of the AGARD Structures and Materials Panel 1979
- FAA “Supplemental Structural Inspection Program for Large Transport Category Airplanes,” Advisory Circular 1981
- Walker, E. K. Ekvall J. C. Rhodes, J. E. “Design for Continuing Structural Integrity,” “” Journal of Engineering Materials and Technology,” 102 1980
- Goranson, U. G. Hall, J. Maclin J. R. Watanabe, R. T. “Long Life Damage Tolerant Jet Transport Structures,” ASTM Fatigue and Fracture Committee’s symposium on Design of Fatigue and Fracture Resistant Structures 1980
- Eltis E. M. Wilde, G. L. “The Rolls-Royce RB211 Turbofan Engine,” James Clayton Memorial Lecture of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, presented at the Bristol Branch of the Institution 1974