This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Influence of Arm Position on Thoracic Injuries in Side Impact
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 01, 1981 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The thorax is frequently involved in side impact accidents; in such accidents, injuries to the thorax are related to the intrusion. The position of the impacted side arm can affect the occuring of thoracic injuries in side impact. This study describes the results of 15 side impact thoracic tests performed on 8 cadavers; most of these tests are conducted with arm involvement (the upper arm is places along the thorax and the impact is transmitted to the thorax through the arm). The results of these tests are compared to the results of 6 tests previously published, conducted without arm involvement (the impact was applied directly to the thorax). From these results, it appears that the arm offers a limited protection when it is placed along the thorax, by distributing impact forces on the chest, and that the BLUR criterion is not well correlated with the thoracic injuries severity.
|Technical Paper||Performance of a Shoulder Belt and Knee Restraint in Barrier Crash Simulations|
|Technical Paper||Determination of Impact Responses of ES-2re and SID-IIs - Part III: Development of Transfer Functions|
- Dominique Cesari - Laboratoire des Chocs et de BiomécaniqueOrganisme National de Sécurité Routiére Bron-France
- Michelle Ramet - Laboratoire des Chocs et de BiomécaniqueOrganisme National de Sécurité Routiére Bron-France
- Jean Bloch - Laboratoire des Chocs et de BiomécaniqueOrganisme National de Sécurité Routiére Bron-France
CitationCesari, D., Ramet, M., and Bloch, J., "Influence of Arm Position on Thoracic Injuries in Side Impact," SAE Technical Paper 811007, 1981, https://doi.org/10.4271/811007.
- Mackay G.M. “Causes and effects of road accidents” Department of Transportation and Environmental Planning University of Birmingham 3 1969
- Tarriére C. Hartemann A. “Comment meurt-on dans un accident de voiture?” IRCOBI Conf. June 1973
- Hartemann F. Thomas C. Foret-Bruno J.Y. Henry C. Fayon A. Tarriére C. Got C. Patel A. “Description of lateral impacts” 6th ESV Conference October 1976
- Césari D. Ramet M. “Injury mechanisms in side impact” 22nd Stapp Car Crash Conference 1978
- Césari D. Ramet M. Clair P.Y. “Pelvis tolerance” 24th Stapp Car Crash Conference 1980
- Robbins D.H. Lehman R.J. Augustyn K. “Prediction of thoracic injuries as a function of occupant kinematics” 7th ESV Conference, Paris June 1979
- Robbins D.H. Melvin J.W. Stalnaker R.L. “The prediction of thoracic impact injuries” 20th Stapp Car Crash Conference 1976
- Walsh M.J. Kelleher B.H. “Pre-test osteologic studies for determining cadaver skeletal quality” 8th ESV Conference 1980
- Epker B.N. Frost H.M. “The parabolic index : a proposed index of the degree of osteoporosis in ribs” Journal of Gerontology 19 October 1964
- Morgan R.M. Waters Hal.P. “Comparison of two promising side impact dummies” 8th ESV Conference 1980