This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Study of Impacts to the Lateral Protected and Unprotected Head
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 01, 1981 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In an earlier series of papers, we reported on the results of a study of frontal impacts to cadaver heads which were protected and unprotected. New data is presented to quantify head response to laterally directed impacts. The temporo-parietal area of the head in stationary unembalmed cadaver subjects was struck by a rigid impactor mass. Both helmeted and unhelmeted exposures were compared. Data collected included impactor energy, intracranial pressures at selected locations, and composite analyses from a nine accelerometer array system. In addition the data was entered into a finite element head model. Stresses and strains were predicted for various intracranial locations. The applicability of head injury indices in understanding lateral head impact are commented on.
|Technical Paper||Intracranial Pressure Relationships in the Protected and Unprotected Head|
|Technical Paper||Experimental Studies of Side Impact to the Human Head|
|Technical Paper||Meeting Interior Head Impact Requirements: A Basic Scientific Approach|
CitationNahum, A., Ward, C., Schneider, D., Raasch, F. et al., "A Study of Impacts to the Lateral Protected and Unprotected Head," SAE Technical Paper 811006, 1981, https://doi.org/10.4271/811006.
- Padgaonkar A.J. Kreiger K.W. King A.I. “Measurement of Angular Acceleration of a Rigid Body Using Linear Accelerometers.” J. of Applied Mechanics 42 552 556 1975
- Chandler R.F. Christian R.A. “Comparative Evaluation of Dummy Performance Under - G x Impact.” Proceedings of 13th Stapp Car Crash Conference, paper 690798 1969
- Sprouffske J.F. Muzzy W.H. Trout E.M. Clarke T. D. Gragg C.D. “The Effect on Data Reproducibility of Dummy Modification.” Proceedings of 15th Stapp Car Crash Conference, paper 710847 1971
- Kroell C.K. Schneider D.C. Nahum A.M. “Comparative Knee Impact Response of Part 572 Dummy and Cadaver Subjects.” Proceedings of the 20th Stapp Car Crash Conference, paper 760817 1976
- Nahum A.M. Ward C. Raasch F. Adams S. Schneider D. “Experimental Studies of Side Impact to the Human Head.” Proceedings of the 24th Stapp Car Crash Conference, Troy, Michigan 43 62 October 1980
- Malkus D. Hughes T. “Mixed Finite Element Methods Reduced and Selective Integration Techniques: A Unification of Concepts.” J. of Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering 15 63 81 1978
- Nikravesch P.E. Ward C.C. “Evaluation of Composite Material Properties for a Human Brain Model-A Parametric Study.” Navy TM No. 51-79-31
- Nahum A. Ward C.C. Smith R. Raasch F. “Intracranial Pressure Relationships in the Protected and Unprotected Head.” Proceedings of 23rd Stapp Car Crash Conference 613 636 1979
- Halbourn A.H. “Mechanics of Head Injuries.” The Lancet 438 441 October 9 1943
- Aldman Bertil National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Consensus Workshop on Head and Neck Injury Criteria March 26-27 1981