This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Design Allowable Factors in Composite Materials
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 01, 1981 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A basic requirement for the design of structures fabricated from composite materials is a knowledge of the design allowables for the materials under consideration. These allowables not only include the fundamental static strength properties such as tension, compression, and shear, but also properties such as bearing strength, flexural strength fatigue characteristics, environmental effects, etc. The requirements on many structures include combined loading necessitating establishing an acceptable failure criteria. Composite materials have many variables which affect their properties. If these variations in properties are not properly recognized, the design allowables are penalized.
This paper discusses statistical factors which influence design allowables, and the importance of recognizing those variables which can effectively reduce scatter in test data.
Methods are discussed which, by narrowing the scatter in test data, will improve the design allowables.
CitationBerg, K. and Anderson, R., "Design Allowable Factors in Composite Materials," SAE Technical Paper 810637, 1981, https://doi.org/10.4271/810637.
- “Metallic Materials and Elements for Aerospace Vehicle Structures” MIL-HDBK-5A
- Dittoe F. A. “Sigma, Sample Standard Deviation, Probability Levels” Structures Technical Memorandum No. 8 General Dynamics Corporation San Diego, CA September 1960
- “Plastics for Aerospace Vehicles” MIL-HDBK-17A
- “Structural Design Guide for Advanced Composite Applications” Air Force Materials Laboratory Third Edition
- Berg K. R. “Shear Loading in Fibrous Composites” 32nd Annual Conference, SAWE, London June 1973
- Berg K. R. “The Determination of the Transverse Tensile Strength of a Unidirectional Fibrous Composite” Whittaker Corporation, Technical Note 66-TN-31 September 1966
- Hashin Z. Rotem A. “Failure Modes of Angle Ply Laminates” Journal of Composite Materials 9 1975 191
- Berg K. R. “Torque Transfer in Composite Flywheel” Flywheel Technology Conference, Phoenix Arizona October 1980