This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Carburizing Steels Shortening Process Time
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1981 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Carburizing process is one of the heat treatment which consumes energy in large quantities. Authors started the program to develop new carburizing steels which would be able to shorten the process time by 10 to 20% comparing with conventional steels. To obtain the data for alloy design, the effect of alloying elements was investigated throughly on the case depth of carburized steels. Then authors learned that C and Mo are most effective to gain the case depth and designed new carburizing steels, ES1 and ES2, where contents of 2 elements were optimized. ES1 has machinability, core - hardenability and tensile/fatigue strength equivalent to SAE 5120 (Cr steel). And ES2 are to substitute for JIS SCM 420 (Cr - Mo steel). ES1 passed the application experiments as steering components of a passenger car.
|Technical Paper||Development of Supercarburized Tappet Shim to Improve Fuel Economy|
|Technical Paper||An Accelerated Carburizing Process|
|Technical Paper||Application of Super Carburizing to Hydraulic Lash Adjuster|
- Shigeo Kimura - Nissan Motors Co., Ltd.
- Teruo Ogiwara - Nissan Motors Co., Ltd.
- Katsubumi Itoh - Nissan Motors Co., Ltd.
- Tetsuo Kato - Daido Steel Co., Ltd. R & D Div.
- Norioki Uyehara - Daido Steel Co., Ltd. R & D Div.
- Kenji Isokawa - Daido Steel Co., Ltd. R & D Div.
- Yoshiharu Tanaka - Daido Steel Co., Ltd. R & D Div.
CitationKato, T., Uyehara, N., Isokawa, K., Tanaka, Y. et al., "Carburizing Steels Shortening Process Time," SAE Technical Paper 810517, 1981, https://doi.org/10.4271/810517.
- SHIMIZU K. OKUNO T. “Study on the Gas-Carburizing Capacity of Some Practical Case-Hardened Steels.” J. of the Japan Inst, Metals 24 1960 727
- JATCZAK C. F. “Hardenability in High Carbon Steels.” Met. Trans. 4 1973 2267