This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Stirling Engine - A Ready Candidate for Solar Thermal Power
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1981 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The paper describes Stirling engine developments at United Stirling of Sweden and the adaptation of their 4-95 double-acting engine as an efficient solar energy converter receiving heat from a parabolic dish concentrator. The engine needs only minor modifications to match requirements of a solar heated powerplant. New heater/receiver designs are described, including the relation of tube geometry to solar flux patterns. The 4-95 engine to be installed for a 1981 DOE demonstration program is predicted to achieve a thermal efficiency of 35 percent at a power output of 22 kW.
|Technical Paper||Mod I Automotive Stirling Engine System Performance|
|Technical Paper||Commercial Stirling Engine Development and Applications|
CitationBratt, C., Holgersson, S., Nelving, H., and Percival, W., "The Stirling Engine - A Ready Candidate for Solar Thermal Power," SAE Technical Paper 810456, 1981, https://doi.org/10.4271/810456.
- Thornton John P. et al. “A Comparative Ranking of 0.1-10 MWe Solar Thermal Electric Power Systems, ” 1 Summary of Results, SERI, Report No. SERI/TR-351-461 August 1980
- Fujita T. et al. “Comparison of Advanced Engines for Parabolic Dish Solar Thermal Power Plants, ” 15th Intersociety Energy Conversion Engineering Conference, Paper No. 809347 August 1980
- Hoffmann J. Dr. et al. “Solar Energy Utilization Programme of Messerschmitt-Bolkow-Blohm, ” International Conference on the New Sources of Energy November 1978
- Pons R.L. “The Performance of Solar Thermal Electric Power Systems Employing Small Heat Engines, ” ASME Paper 80-Pet-25 November 1979
- Stearns J.W. et al. “Solar Stirling System Development, ” A.I.A.A. Terrestrial Energy Systems Conference, Paper No. 79-1009 June 1979
- Truscello V.C. Williams A.N. “The JPL Parabolic Dish Project, ” 15th Intersociety Energy Conversion Engineering Conference, Paper No. 809346 August 1980
- Fortgang H.R. Mayers H.F. “Cost and Price Estimate of Brayton and Stirling Engines in Selected Production Volumes, ” JPL Publication 80-42, Report No. DOE/JPL-1060-35 May 1980
- Haglund R.A. “Non-Heatpipe/P-40 Stirling Engine, ” Proceedings of First Semi-Annual Distributed Receiver Systems Program Review, JPL Publication 80-10, Report No. DOE/JPL-1060-33 January 1980