This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Stoichiometric Air-Fuel Ratio Control Analysis
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1981 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A great deal of current automotive engineering effort involves the development of three-way catalyst-based emission control systems that seek to minimize fuel consumption while simultaneously meeting stringent exhaust emission standards. Mitigation of emissions is enhanced in a three-way catalyst system when the system air-fuel ratio (A/F) is in proximity to ideal burning or stoichiometry.
This paper is concerned with extending methods used for determining engine calibrations to closed-loop systems with three-way catalysts. The paper presents a simulation model that employs experimentally obtained data to characterize the A/F control loop.
CitationPowell, B., Wu, H., and Aquino, C., "Stoichiometric Air-Fuel Ratio Control Analysis," SAE Technical Paper 810274, 1981, https://doi.org/10.4271/810274.
- Hubbard M. “Applications of Automotive Control to Internal Combustion Engines.” Ph.D. Thesis Stanford University June 1975
- Rivard J. G. “Closed-Loop Electronic Fuel Injection Control of the Internal Combustion Engine.” SAE Paper 730005 1973
- Cassidy J. F. “Electronic Closed-Loop Controls for the Automobile.” SAE Paper 740014 1974
- Eisele H. Wessel W. “Application of Closed Loop Control to Fuel Metering” IEEE International Conference on Automotive Electronics London, England 1975
- Auiler J. E. Zbrozek J. D. Blumberg P. N. “Optimization of Automotive Engine Calibration for Better Fuel Economy-Methods and Applications.” SAE Transactions 86 1977 Paper 770076
- Cassidy J. F. “A Computerized On-Line Approach to Calculating Optimum Engine Calibrations.” SAE Transactions 86 1977 Paper 770078
- Rishavy E. A. Hamilton S. C. Ayers J. A. Keane M. A. “Engine Control Optimization for Best Fuel Economy with Emission Constraints.” SAE Transactions 86 1977 Paper 770075
- Prabhakar R. Citron S. J. Goodson R. E. “Optimization of Automotive Engine Fuel Economy and Emissions” ASME Paper 75-WA/AUT-19 December 2 1975
- Dohner A. R. “Transient System Optimization of an Experimental Engine Control System over the Federal Emissions Driving Schedule.” SAE Paper 780286 1978
- Mencik Z. Blumberg P. N. “Representation of Engine Data by Multi-Variate Least-Squares Regression.” Society of Automotive Engineers, SAE Paper 780288 1978
- Baker R. E. Daby E. E. “Engine Mapping Methodology.” SAE Transactions 86 1977 Paper 770079
- Blumberg P. N. “Powertrain Simulation: A Tool for the Design and Evaluation of Engine Control Strategies in Vehicles.” SAE Paper 760158 1976
- Laurance N. “The Development of a Automobile Engine Control System” IFAC Conference Helsinki June 1978
- Engh G. I. Wallman S. “Development of the Volvo Lamda-Sond System.” SAE Paper 770295 1977
- Blumberg P. N. Wu H. Auiler J. E. “A Methodology for Evaluation and Optimization of Three-Way Catalyst Based, Low NO X Emission Control Systems.” Ford Motor Company Technical Report SR-80-08, Ford Motor Company January 24 1980
- Hamburg D. R. Shulman M. A. “A Closed-Loop A/F Control Model for Internal Combustion Engines.” SAE Paper 800826 1980
- Aquino C. F. “Transient A/F Control Characteristics of the Five Liter Central Fuel Injection Engine” SAE (To be published)
- Wu H. Blumberg P. N. “An Attenuation and Transport Delay Model for Single Point Closed-Loop Fuel Metering Systems.” SAE Transactions 86 1977 Paper 770219
- Halsett R. A. Eidson T. M. “Equivalence Ratio Meter.” SAE Paper 770219 1977