This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Effect of Gear Lubricant on Fuel Economy as Measured in a Line Haul Truck Fleet
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1981 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A gear lubricant field test in 32 new Class 8 vehicles totaling over 2 million miles (3.2 million kilometers) determined that one lubricant compounded with a potassium borate additive can be used in both axle and transmissions, providing a 3.5% benefit in fuel economy compared to conventional lubricants. while giving superior wear protection and oxidation stability.
|Technical Paper||Evaluating Gear Lubricant Shear Stability|
|Technical Paper||Development of Long Life Pulley-Supporting Bearing for Belt-CVT|
|Technical Paper||The Impact of Evolving Automatic Transmission Fluid Specifications on Base Oil Selection|
CitationAdams, J., Frost, K., Hartmann, L., and Painter, L., "The Effect of Gear Lubricant on Fuel Economy as Measured in a Line Haul Truck Fleet," SAE Technical Paper 810179, 1981, https://doi.org/10.4271/810179.
- Adams J. H. “Borate - A New Generation EP Gear Lubricant,” Lubr. Eng. 33 5 241 246 1977
- Willermet P. A. Dixon L. T. “Fuel Economy - Contribution of the Rear Axle Lubricant,” SAE Paper 770835
- Goodwin M. C. Haviland M. L. “Fuel Economy Improvements in EPA and Road Tests with Engine Oil and Rear Axle Lubricant Viscosity Reductions,” SAE Paper 780596
- O'Connor B. M. Romig W. S. Schiemann L. F. “Energy Conservation Through the Use of Hultigraded Gear Oil in Trucks,” SAE Paper 770833
- Hobson D. E. “Axle Efficiency - Test Procedures and Results,” SAE Paper 790744
- Adams J. H. “Conservation Potential with Borate Gear Lubricant,” Lubr. Eng. 34 12 14 1978
- Adams J. H. Godfrey D. “Borate Gear Lubricant - EP Film Analysis and Performance,” Lubr. Eng. 37 16 21 1981
- Jones E. R. Painter L. J. “Some Statistical Aspects of Testing Engine Oils for Fuel Economy,” SAE Paper 790951