This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Two-Side Paintable Hot Dip Galvanized Steel for Automotive Sheets
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1981 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Two-side hot dip galvanized steel has not been used extensively for exposed automotive parts, despite its proven corrosion resistance. A major deterrent is its inconsistent surface finish after forming and painting.
This paper describes a new two-side hot dip galvanized product which overcomes this surface characteristic. Its production, using conventional methods, and the product characteristics in relation to automotive exposed applications are described.
CitationNg, H., Neville, R., and Linke, A., "Two-Side Paintable Hot Dip Galvanized Steel for Automotive Sheets," SAE Technical Paper 810144, 1981, https://doi.org/10.4271/810144.
- Chance R. L. “Corrosion, De-icing Salts, and the Environment” Materials Performance, No. 10 13 October 1974
- Allmand W. “Development of the Anti-Corrosion Code for Motor Vehicles” S.A.E. Conference, Designing for Automotive Corrosion Prevention November, 1978
- Burst H. Grashof I. et al. “Application of Galvanized Sheet Steel in Automobile Manufacturing” Paper #131 N.A.C.E. Corrosion/80 Conference Chicago, Illinois March 3-5, 1980
- “Test for Evaluating Paint Film Distinction of Image” GM 9101-P General Motors Corporation Jan. 1977
- “Cold Rolled Carbon Steel Sheets, Commercial Quality, for Exposed and Unexposed Parts” Fisher Body Material Specification, FBMS 16-1E, Section E Aug. 8 1978 Fisher Body Division, General Motors Corporation
- “Painting of Sheet Steel Surface for Corrosion and D.O.I. Evaluation” TM 55-30 Aug. 17 1977 Material Development and Testing Laboratory, Fisher Body Division, General Motors Corporation
- Austin L. W. Bush G. W. “Unikote” S.A.E. Paper 770361 Society of Automotive Engineers Congress and Exposition Detroit February 28 to March 4, 1977
- Sievert W. C. Franks L. L. “A Two-Side Hot Dip Galvanized Steel Product for Exposed Automotive Body Panels” S.A.E. Paper 800146 S.A.E. Congress and Exposition Detroit February 25-29, 1980
- Van Eijnsbergen J. F. H. “Twenty Years of Duplex Systems” B.I.S.I. 14052 (Translation Report) June 1976