This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Effect of Tire Aging on Force and Moment Properties of Radial Tires
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1981 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The increase of rubber stiffness with age causes radial tire cornering stiffness to significantly increase during warehouse (shelf) aging. The increase in cornering properties is linear with the logarithm of time and dependent on storage temperature. Five different brands of radial tires studied age in a very similar manner, exhibiting the apparent effect of two different aging mechanisms. A limited experiment indicated an approximate balance of aging and break-in effects on radial tire cornering properties in normal service. The in-service results imply that neither force and moment tests nor vehicle handling tests should be preceded by break-in or scrub-in procedures if the desire is to predict in-service behavior.
|Technical Paper||The Effect of Tire Break-In on Force and Moment Properties|
|Technical Paper||Effect of Aging on Tire Force and Moment Characteristics|
|Technical Paper||Measurement and Modeling of Tire Forces on a Low Coefficient Surface|
CitationPottinger, M. and Marshall, K., "The Effect of Tire Aging on Force and Moment Properties of Radial Tires," SAE Technical Paper 810066, 1981, https://doi.org/10.4271/810066.
- Pottinger M. G. et al “Effects of Test Speed and Surface Curvature on the Cornering Properties of Tires” SAE 760029 Detroit, Mich. Feb. 23-27 1976
- Phelps R. L. et al “The Mathematical Characteristics of Steady State Low Slip Angle Force and Moment Data” SAE 760031 Detroit, Mich. Feb. 23-27 1976
- Marshall K. D. et al “The Effect of Tire Break-In on Force and Moment Properties” SAE 770870 Detroit, Mich. Feb. 18-22 1978
- Ginn J. L. et al “The BFGoodrich Tire Dynamics Machine” SAE 490B Detroit, Mich. March 1962
- Nordeen D. L. “Analysis of Tire Lateral Forces and Interpretation of Experimental Tire Data” SAE 670173 Detroit, Mich. Jan. 9-13 1967
- Peterson K. G. et al “General Motors Tire Performance Criteria (TPC) Specification System” SAE 741103 Toronto, Canada October 22-24 1974
- “Vehicle Dynamics Terminology,” SAE J670e Warrendale, Pa. June 1978
- Williams M. L. Landel R. F. Ferry J. D. J. Am. Chem. Society 77 3701 1955
- Studebaker M. L. Beatty J. R. “Studies on the Hardening of SBR on Aging” Gordon Conference on Elastomers 1965 New London, New Hampshire
- Studebaker M. L. Beatty J. R. “The Oxidative Hardening of SBR” Rubber Chemistry and Technology XLV 2 1972
- Clark S. K. “Mechanics of Pneumatic Tires” NBS Monograph 122 Washington, D.C. November 1971
- Collins J. M. Jackson W. L. Oubridge S. D. Trans. Inst. Rubber Ind. 40 239 1964 Rubber Chem. & Tech. 38 2 400 1965