This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Cyclic Dispersion in the Homogeneous-Charge Spark-Ignition Engine—A Literature Survey
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1981 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This literature survey was undertaken to assess the state of the art relative to cyclic dispersion in combustion and its effect on the subsequent pressure development in the cylinder of a homogeneous-charge spark-ignition engine. The scope of this survey ranges from papers written about 25 years ago, corresponding to the beginning of systematic investigations of this phenomenon, to more recent papers. The earlier papers described survey-type experiments in which controllable engine and operating variables were changed, generally one at a time. More recent papers have dealt with the relations between in-cylinder flows, and cyclic combustion and pressure variations. In this survey, these papers are reviewed and the findings are summarized.
|Technical Paper||Laminar Burning Velocities of Iso-Octane-Air Mixtures — A Literature Review|
|Technical Paper||Prediction of Engine Noise using Parameterized Combustion Pressure Curves|
|Technical Paper||Ignition Delay in Diesel Engines|
CitationYoung, M., "Cyclic Dispersion in the Homogeneous-Charge Spark-Ignition Engine—A Literature Survey," SAE Technical Paper 810020, 1981, https://doi.org/10.4271/810020.
- Soltau J. P., “Cylinder Pressure Variations in Petrol Engines,” Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, No. 2, 1960-1961.
- Karim G. A., “An Examination of the Nature of the Random Cyclic Pressure Variations in a Spark-Ignition Engine,” J. of the Institute of Petroleum, Vol. 53, No. 519, March 1967.
- Patterson D. J., “Pressure Variations, A Fundamental Combustion Problem,” SAE Paper No. 660129, 1966.
- Milkins E. E., Watson H. C., Goldsworthy L. C., Hallworth R. J., “Cycle by Cycle Variability in Emissions of a Spark Ignition Engine,” SAE Paper No. 741034, 1974.
- Heywood J. B., Mathews S. M., Owen B., “Predictions of Nitric Oxide Concentrations in a Spark-Ignition Engine Compared with Exhaust Measurements,” SAE Paper No. 710011, 1971.
- Chen K. K., Krieger R. B., “A Statistical Analysis of the Influence of Cyclic Variation on the Formation of Nitric Oxide In Spark Ignition Engines,” Combustion Science and Technology, Vol. 12, 1976.
- Winkler G. L., Lestz S. S., Meyer W. E., “Exhaust Gas Sampling Technique for Relating Emissions and Cycle Characteristics,” SAE Paper No. 680770, 1968.
- Amano M., Nakada M., “An Approach to Evaluate Vehicle Driveability Through Engine Dynamometer Testing,” Third International Symposium on Automation of Engine and Emission Testing, September 1974.
- Fukushima T., Nakamura H., Sakal T., “Exhaust Emission Control of S.I. Engines by Engine Modifications--The SEEC-T System,” SAE Paper No. 770224, 1977.
- Andon J., Marks, “Engine Roughness--A Key to Lower Octane Requirement,” SAE Transactions, Vol. 72, 1964.
- Vichnievsky R., “Combustion in Petrol Engines,” Proceedings on the Joint Conference on Combustion, IME-ASME, 1955.
- Starkman E. S., Strange F. M., Dahm T. J., “Flame Speeds and Pressure Rise Rates in Spark Ignition Engines,” SAE Paper No. 83V, 1959.
- Peters B. D., Borman G. L., “Cyclic Variations and Average Burning Rates in a S.I. Engine,” SAE Paper No. 700064, 1970.
- Arrigoni V., Calvi F., Cornetti G. M., Pozzi U., “Turbulent Flame Structure as Determined by Pressure Development and Ionization Intensity,” SAE Transactions, Vol. 82, 1973.
- Curry S., “A Three-Dimensional Study of Flame Propagation in a Spark Ignition Engine,” SAE Transactions, Vol. 71, 1963.
- Ohigashi S., Hamamoto Y., “Study on Ignition Lag and Flame Propagation in Spark Ignition Engines,” Bulletin of the JSME, Vol. 13, No. 64, 1970.
- Hirao O., Kim Y., “Combustion Variation Analysis on Flame Propagation in 4 Cycle Gasoline Engines,” Special Issue of JARI Technical Memorandum: Intermediate Reports of Combustion and Emission Researches, pp. 30-42, Japan Automobile Research Institute, Inc., March 1970.
- Ogasawara M., Matsuda M., “Experimental Research on Flame Propagation Delay in the Gasoline Engine with Electrical Ignition,” Japanese Society of Mechanical Engineers, Transactions Vol. 33 (245), 1967.
- Mori T., Yamazaki K., “Variation in the Flame Propagation Time in a Spark-Ignition Engine,” Bulletin JSME, Vol. 13, No. 58, 1970.
- Shiomoto G. H., Sawyer R. F., Kelly B. D., “Characteristics of the Mean Misfire Limit,” Report No. UCB-ME-77-2, University of California, Berkeley, January 1977.
- Mattavi J. N., Groff E. G., Matekunas F. A., “Turbulence, Flame Motion, and Combustion Chamber Geometry - Their Interactions in a Lean-Combustion Engine,” Proceedings of I Mech E Conference on Fuel Economy and Emissions of Lean Burn Engines, Paper C100/79, 1979.
- Harrow G. A., Orman P. L., “A Study of Flame Propagation and Cyclic Dispersion in a Spark-Ignition Engine,” Advanced School of Automotive Engineering (Part IV), Combustion Processes in the Spark-Ignition Engine, Perga-moh Press, July 1965.
- Warren J. A., Hinkamp J. B., “New Instrumentation for Engine Combustion Studies,” SAE Transactions, Vol. 64, 1956.
- Kuroda K., Nakajima Y., Sugihara K., Takagi Y., Muranaka S., “The Fast Burn with Heavy EGR, New Approach for Low NOx and Improved Fuel Economy,” SAE Paper No. 780006.
- Anderson W. J., Lestz S. S., Meyer W. E., “The Effect of Charge Dilution on CBC Variations and Exhaust Emissions of an SI Engine,” SAE Paper No. 730152, 1973.
- Matthes W. R., McGill R. N., “Effects of the Degree of Fuel Atoraization on Single-Cylinder Engine Performance,” SAE Paper No. 760117, 1976.
- Annand W. J. D., Summers I. G. S., “Observations on the Variability of Spark-Ignition Combustion Using a Single-Cylinder Simulator,” SAE Paper No. 700487, 1970.
- Barton R. K., Kenemuth D. K., Lestz S. S., Meyer W. E., “Cycle-by-Cycle Variations of a Spark Ignition Engine - A Statistical Analysis,” SAE Paper No. 700488, 1970.
- Young M. B., “Cyclic Dispersion - Some Quantitative Cause-and-Effect Relationships,” SAE Paper No. 800459, 1980.
- Matsuoka S., Yamaguchi T., Umemura. Y., “Factors Influencing the Cyclic Variations of Combustion of Spark-Ignition Engine,” SAE Paper No. 710586, 1971.
- Kim Y., “Studies of Mixture Ratio Variations in an Automobile Gasoline Engine,” Journal of the Society of Automotive Engineers of Japan, Vol. 22, No. 5, 1968.
- Winsor R. E., Patterson D. J., “Relationship of Cyclic Combustion Variations and Mixture Motion in a Spark-Ignition Engine,” Tech. Report No. 1, Dept. of Mechanical Engineering, University of Michigan, September 1972 (also Winsor R.E., Ph.D Thesis of same title).
- Taylor C. F., Taylor E. S., “The Internal Combustion Engine,” 2nd Edition, International Textbook Company, March 1970.
- Sanda S., Toda T., Nohira H., Konorai T., “Statistical Analysis of Pressure Indicator Data of an Internal Combustion Engine,” SAE Paper No. 770882, 1977.
- Peters B. D., Quader A. A., “Wetting the Appetite of Spark-Ignition Engines for Lean Combustion”, SAE Paper No. 780234, 1978.
- Broeze J. J., “Combustion in Internal-Combustion Engines. II. The Spark-Ignition Engine,” Engineering, Vol. 169, April 28, 1950.
- Vichnievsky R., Sale B., “Etude de la Combustion sur le Monocylindre I.F.P. Renault C.N.R.S.,” J. Soc. Ing. Auto., Vol. 31, 1958.
- Cole D. E., Mirsky W., “Mixture Motion - Its Effect on Pressure Rise in a Combustion Bomb: A New Look at Cyclic Variation,” SAE Paper No. 680766, 1968.
- Bolt J. A., Harrington D. L., “The Effects of Mixture Motion Upon the Lean Limit and Combustion of Spark-Ignited Mixtures,” SAE Paper No. 670467, 1967.
- Dye A. O., “Turbulence Controlled Induction,” I Mech E Automotive Engineer, December 1976.
- Stivender D. L., “Intake Valve Throttling (IVT) - A Sonic Throttling Intake Valve Engine,” SAE Paper No. 680399, 1968.
- Lancaster D. R., “Effects of Engine Variables on Turbulence in a Spark-Ignition Engine,” SAE Paper No. 761059, 1976.
- Lancaster D. R., Krieger R. B., Sorenson S. C., Hull W. L., “Effects of Turbulence on Spark-Ignition Engine Combustion,” SAE Paper No. 760160, 1976.
- Lancaster D. R., “Effect of Mixture Turbulence on Spark-Ignition Engine Combustion,” Ph.D. Thesis, University of Illinois, 1975.
- Nagayama I., Araki Y., Iioka Y., “Effects of Swirl and Squish on S.I. Engine Combustion nd Emission,” SAE Paper No. 770217, 1977.
- Lucas G. G., Brunt M., Petrovic S., “Lean Mixture Running of the Spark Ignition Engine by Generation of a Vortex System within the Intake,” SAE Paper No. 780964, 1978.
- Nakamura H., Ohinouye T., Hori K., Kiyota Y., Nakagami T., Akishino K., Tsukamoto Y., “Development of a New Combustion System (MCA-JET) in Gasoline Engine,” SAE Paper No. 780007, 1978.
- National Advisory Committee for Aeronautics, “Basic Consideration in the Combustion of Hydrocarbon Fuels with Air,” Report 1300, 1959.
- Andrews G. E., Bradley D., Lwakabamba S. B., “Turbulence and Turbulent Flame Propagation--A Critical Appraisal,” Combustion and Flame, Vol. 24, 1975.
- James E. H., Lucas G. G., “Turbulent Flow in Spark Ignition Engine Combustion Chambers,” SAE Paper No. 750885, 1975.
- Dent J. C., Salama N. S., “The Measurement of the Turbulence Characteristics in an Internal Combustion Engine Cylinder,” SAE Paper No. 750886, 1975.
- Barton R. K., Lestz S. S., Meyer W. E., “An Empirical Model for Correlating Cycle-by-Cycle Cylinder Gas Motion and Combustion Variations of a Spark Ignition Engine,” SAE Paper No. 710163, 1971.
- Hansel H. G., “A Turbulent Combustion Model of Cycle-to-Cycle Combustion Variations in Spark-Ignition Engines,” Combustion Science and Technology, Vol. 2, 1970.
- Winsor R. E., Patterson D. J., “Mixture Turbulence - A Key to Cyclic Variation,” SAE Paper No. 730086, 1973.