This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
An Overview of Some Turbocharged Gasoline and Diesel Engine Automobiles
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1981 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper makes an overview of published data on the performance, fuel economy, and emissions of some recently introduced turbocharged gasoline and diesel engine powered passenger cars. These vehicles are compared with models equipped with naturally aspirated engines of larger displacement and with comparable overall performance. The problems of the small turbocharger are discussed. Some data is provided on the efficiency degradation of small compressors as a function of blade tip clearances. Different magnitudes of fuel economy improvement can be obtained by applying the turbocharger to gasoline and diesel engines depending on the utilization of the increased power. The use of increased power is largely limited by the turbocharger inefficiency and acceleration lag. Solutions to these problems do not appear promising for the near term. Furthermore, power options continue to be offered by U.S. manufacturers with engines of increased displacement. In view of these considerations, it appears unlikely that any type of turbocharger will be applied to high volume production models manufactured by U.S. automakers in the near term.
|Technical Paper||Fuel Spray-Air Motion Interaction in DI Diesel Engines: A Review|
|Technical Paper||Alternative Powerplants|
CitationMercure, R., "An Overview of Some Turbocharged Gasoline and Diesel Engine Automobiles," SAE Technical Paper 810004, 1981, https://doi.org/10.4271/810004.
- Wallace T. F. “Buick's Turbocharged V-6 Powertrain for 1978,” SAE Paper No. 780413 1978
- Dertian H. H. Holiday G. W. Sanbum G. W. “Turbocharging Ford's 2.3 Liter Spark Ignition Engine,” SAE Paper No. 790312 1979
- Oblander K. Fortnagel M. Feucht Han-Juergen Conrad Ulrich “The Turbocharged Five-Cylinder Diesel Engine for the Mercedes-Benz 300 SD,” SAE Paper No. 780633 1978
- Wiedemann B. Hofbauer P. “Data Base for Light-Weight Automobile Diesel Power-plants,” SAE Paper No. 780634 1978
- Bishop I. N. “Effect of Design Variables on Friction and Economy,” SAE Paper No. 812A 1964
- Obert E. F. “Internal Combustion Engines,” 3rd Ed., International Textbook Co. 368 1968
- Hiereth H. Withalm G. “Some Special Features of the Turbocharged Gasoline Engine,” SAE Paper No. 790207 1979
- Barnes-Moss H. W. Scott W. M. “The Light Duty Diesel Engine for Private Transportation,” SAE Paper No. 750331 1975