This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Electronic Engine Control Systems for the Smaller Passenger Car
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published August 01, 1980 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The usefulness of a micro-processor based engine vehicle control system has been demonstrated and widely recognized. With the rapid progress of LSI technology in process and structure, the improvement of micro-processor performance and reliability is remarkable in computing speed, functions, and memory size. By utilizing this improved micro-processor performance, a more sophisticated engine-vehicle control system can be composed. The objective of this study is to clarify the requirements for an engine control unit (ECU) and a control strategy in the case that these systems are applied to smaller engines and smaller vehicles and where high accuracy of control is needed.
An experimental control unit has been developed. Both transient and steady state compensation controls for fuel injection and ignition timing have been investigated. The requirements for conversion time of the analog to digital converter, the interpolation logic for crank angle signal, and the compensation circuitry have been clarified. The effectiveness of the compensation control, asynchronous fuel injection, and the adaptive control of air to fuel ratio have been demonstrated.
|Technical Paper||Rapid Prototyping ECU of a SI Engine with Fuel Injection and Ignition Control|
|Technical Paper||Adaptive Control of Individual Cylinder Ignition Timing for Improvement of Idle Stability|
- T. Toyoda - Engine Research & Emission Control Dept., Higashi Fuji Technical Center, Toyota Motor Co., Ltd
- T. Inoue - Engine Research & Emission Control Dept., Higashi Fuji Technical Center, Toyota Motor Co., Ltd
- T. Yaegashi - Engine Research & Emission Control Dept., Higashi Fuji Technical Center, Toyota Motor Co., Ltd
- K. Aoki - Engine Research & Emission Control Dept., Higashi Fuji Technical Center, Toyota Motor Co., Ltd
CitationToyoda, T., Inoue, T., Yaegashi, T., and Aoki, K., "Electronic Engine Control Systems for the Smaller Passenger Car," SAE Technical Paper 800894, 1980, https://doi.org/10.4271/800894.
- Rivard, J.G. “The Electronic Control Unit for Production Electronic Fuel Injection Systems.” SAE Paper 760242 presented at the SAE Congress February 23–27 1976
- Russell J.B. Nedbal, R. G. “Air-Fuel Ratio Control Using a Simple Micro-Processor” SAE Paper 770006 presented at SAE Congress February 1977
- Toelle, A.D. “Microprocessor Control of the Automobile Engine” SAE Paper 770008 presented at SAE Congress February 1977
- Matsumoto, K. Inoue, T. Nakanishi, K. Matsushita, S. Koganemaru S. Ooshika, H. “Engine Control Optimization for Smaller Passenger Cars” SAE Paper 780590 presented at SAE Passenger Car Meeting June 5–9 1978