This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Passenger Car and Light Truck Fuel Economy Trends through 1980
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published June 01, 1980 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
The 4000-mile EPA fuel economy figures are presented for passenger cars from pre-emission control models through 1980, for light-trucks from 1975 through 1980, and for motorcycles for 1980.
The paper accumulates most of the fuel economy analyses presented in previous papers of this kind. Accordingly, it is voluminous with data, and necessarily terse in textual material. It presupposes reader familiarity with the nature of the EPA tests and data bases, and the techniques used for the analyses, particularly harmonic sales weighting of fuel economy data. The reader must refer to precursor papers for such descriptions.
Some aspects treated are: stratification by weight class, vehicle size class, manufacturer, and MPG range; domestic vs. import, gasoline vs. Diesel, and 49-states vs. California models.
CitationMurrell, J., Foster, J., and Bristor, D., "Passenger Car and Light Truck Fuel Economy Trends through 1980," SAE Technical Paper 800853, 1980, https://doi.org/10.4271/800853.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 4]|
- U. S. Environmental Protection Agency, “Fuel Economy and Emission Control”, November 1972.
- Austin T. and Hellman K., “Passenger Car Fuel Economy - Trends and Influencing Factors”, SAE Paper 730790, September 1973.
- Austin T. and Hellman K., “Fuel Economy of the 1975 Models”, SAE Paper 740970, October 1974.
- Austin, T. et al, “Passenger Car Fuel Economy Trends Through 1976”, SAE Paper 750957, October 1975.
- Murrell, D. et al, “Light-Duty Automotive Fuel Economy Trends Through 1977”, SAE Paper 760795, October 1976.
- Murrell D., “Light-Duty Automotive Fuel Economy ... Trends Through 1978”, SAE Paper 780036, February 1978.
- Murrell D., “Light-Duty Automotive Fuel Economy ... Trends Through 1979”, SAE Paper 790225, February 1979.
- Murrell D., “Passenger Car Fuel Economy: EPA and Road, A Report to the Congress”, EPA Report EPA-460/3-80-010, June 1980.
- Cantwell, E. N. et al, “Projections of Motor Vehicle Fuel Demand and Emissions”, SAE Paper 780933, November 1978.
- McNutt B. and Dulla E., “On-Road Fuel Economy Trends and Impacts”, Report under DOE Contract EC-76-C-01-8435, February 1979.
- Moore L. and Burke J., “A Study of Exhaust Emissions From 1977–1978 Model Year Motorcycles”, EPA Report EPA-460/3-79-002, May 1979.