This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Static Stability and Control of the Automobile Utilizing the Moment Method
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published June 01, 1980 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Some three and a half years ago the present authors described a new method for analyzing automobile stability and control (see SAE Paper No. 760712, “The Static Directional Stability and Control of the Automobile,” October 1976). The present paper is an extension of the earlier work with particular emphasis upon its application, interpretation, and general utility for evaluating automobile stability and controllability. Specific applications of the technique to production vehicles will be used for illustration. The usefulness of the method for mapping out the total maneuvering performance in the nonlinear and limit handling as well as in the linear range will be examined. Such items as off-trim operation, a maneuvering diagram, tangent speed, and the determination of the transient response from the Moment Method diagrams will be discussed, as will the possibility of developing a universal diagram based on a force/moment presentation for the vehicle. A conclusion that this method offers distinct advantages in analyzing car stability and control, including front drive problems, is reached.
|Technical Paper||The Static Directional Stability and Control of the Automobile|
|Technical Paper||Moment Method - A Comprehensive Tool for Race Car Development|
|Technical Paper||Vehicle Handling Responses Using Stability Derivatives|
CitationRice, R. and Milliken, W., "Static Stability and Control of the Automobile Utilizing the Moment Method," SAE Technical Paper 800847, 1980, https://doi.org/10.4271/800847.
- Milliken, William F. Jr. Dell'Amico Fred Rice Roy S. “The Static Directional Stability and Control of the Automobile.” SAE Paper No. 760712 October 1976
- Segal Leonard “Theoretical Prediction and Experimental Substantiation of the Response of the Automobile to Steering Control.” Research in Automobile Stability and Control and in Tyre Performance Institution of Mechanical Engineers 1956
- “Vehicle Dynamics Terminology.” SAE Recommended Practice June 1978
- Barter N. F. “Measurement of Vehicle Handling by Tethered Testing.” Proc. Auto. Div., Institution of Mechanical Engineers 184 1969 – 70
- Bergman Walter “Measurement and Subjective Evaluation of Vehicle Handling.” SAE Paper No. 730492 May 1973