This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Prediction of Driving Traction Performance on Snow
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published June 01, 1980 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The amount of performance testing required to evaluate tire snow traction performance is substantial. This could be reduced through the use of a snow traction prediction equation to screen tire tread designs. The development of such an equation using five geometric tread properties is described. Simplified versions of this equation are also developed and checked against tires of known snow traction performance. These equations provide an objective method for estimating the snow traction potential of a tread design.
|Technical Paper||Studless Tires and Their Performance to Secure Safe Driving in Winter|
|Journal Article||Longitudinal Interfacial Forces of the Interaction of a Treaded Tire with Snow|
CitationNesbitt, T. and Barron, D., "Prediction of Driving Traction Performance on Snow," SAE Technical Paper 800836, 1980, https://doi.org/10.4271/800836.
- Peterson K. G. Smithson F. D. Hills, F. W. Jr. “General Motors Tire Performance Criteria (TPC) Specification System” Paper 741103 presented at SAE International Automobile Tire Conference October 1974
- Browne A. L. “Tire Traction on Snow Covered Pavements” presented at a symposium on the Physics of Tire Traction: Theory and Experiment, General Motors Research Laboratories October 1973
- Kniep J. V. DeRoy A. F. Kind G. F. “European Winter Tire Testing” Paper 800837 presented at SAE National Passenger Car Meeting June 1980
- Anderson V. L. McLean R. A. “Design of Experiments” New York, New York Marcel Deller 1974
- Cochran W. G. Cox G. M. “Experimental Design” New York, New York John Wiley and Sons 1957
- Davis J. B. Wild J. R. St. John N. W. “Winter Tire Testing” Paper 800838 presented at SAE National Passenger Car Meeting June 1980