This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Automotive Applications for Magnesium Die Castings
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1980 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Component groups in domestic vehicle designs with significant weight savings potential through conversion to magnesium die castings are reviewed. The criteria for part selection and basic magnesium properties are discussed. Four component groups having a number of parts meeting this study’s criteria were selected--bracketry, pumps and metering bodies, housings and transmission components. Examples of specific parts in each category are given, including estimates of cost savings or cost penalty per kilogram of weight saved.
|Technical Paper||Manufacturing of Transmission Quill Gear by Sinter Hardening|
|Technical Paper||Engineered Surfaces for Gear Teeth by PVD Processes|
|Technical Paper||The Response of Two Al-Si-Mg Castings to an Integrated HIP and Heat Treat Process|
CitationCaldwell, T. and Ward, H., "Automotive Applications for Magnesium Die Castings," SAE Technical Paper 800415, 1980, https://doi.org/10.4271/800415.
- Mason, F. H. “Autornotive Service Experience with Magnesium,” Modern Metals February 1953
- Boehner, L. C. “Magnesium Alloys in the German Volkswagen,” Magnesium Association, 11th Annual Meeting October 1955
- Schaper E. L. Schertel, H. A. “The Where and Why of Magnesium in Automotive Applications,” Magnesium Association, 14th Annual Meeting October 1958
- Erikson, S. C. “Magnesium: A Proven Material for Lightweight Automotive Die Castings,” SAE Paper 770323 February 1977
- Metals Handbook 1 American Society for Metals Metals Park, Ohio.
- Foerster G. S. “The Mechanical Properties of Magnesium Die Castings,” presented at the seminar, Magnesium in The Die Casting Industry, University of Michigan March 1973
- Foerster, G. S. “New Developments in Magnesium Die Casting,” International Magnesium Association, Annual Meeting 1976
- Hawke D. L. NL Industries, Inc.
- Hawke Do Lo NL Industries, Inc.