This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Analysis Techniques of Combustion Noise and Vibrations in Diesel Engines
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1980 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
One of the main problems experimenters are faced with in studying the diesel engine noise is the separation between the contributions of direct exciting forces, i.e. the combustion noise, and of indirect exciting forces, i.e. the so-called mechanical noise.
In this paper an approach based on complementary techniques is presented, by which the combustion noise is investigated and separated from other vibrational phenomena in a running engine, analyzing the evolution of the time history as a function of engine speed and load, as well as the correlation between pressure cycles and noise.
In fact a combination of techniques, such as near field intensity measurements, multiple and partial coherence methods, time-domain signal processing, can be successfully applied in order to improve the required discrimination.
|Technical Paper||A Simulation of Diesel Engine Combustion Noise|
|Technical Paper||Engine Block Vibration Measures for Time Detection of Diesel Combustion Phases|
CitationAlpini, A., Busso, M., Ruspa, G., and Turino, G., "Analysis Techniques of Combustion Noise and Vibrations in Diesel Engines," SAE Technical Paper 800406, 1980, https://doi.org/10.4271/800406.
- Crocker, M. J. “Identification of Noise from Machinery, Review and novel Methods” Inter-Noise 77 March 1977
- Leipold F. W. Hardenberg, H. O. “Noise, Emission and Performance of the Diesel Engine -A Comparison between D.I. and I.D.I. Combustion Systems” SAE paper 750798
- Anderton, D. “Relation between Combustion System and Engine Noise” SAE paper 790270
- Anderton, D. Grover, E. C. Lalor N. Priede T. “The Automotive Diesel Engine - Its Combustion Noise and Design” Paper C14/77, I.Mech.E. 1977
- Priede T. Anderton D. Grover E. C. Lalor N. “Noise and Diesel Engine Design” I.S.V.R., University of Southampton 1971
- Pride, T. “Relation between Form of Cylinder Pressure diagram and Noise in Diesel Engines” Proc. Instn Mech. Engrs 1 1960/61 63 77
- Bendat J. S. Piersol, A. G. “Random Data: Analysis and Measurement Procedures” Wiley-Interscience 1971
- Otnes R. K. Enochson L. “Applied Time Series Analysis” J. Wiley and Sons 1978
- Chung, J. Y. Crocker, M. J. Hamilton, J. F. “Measurement of frequency responses and the multiple coherence function of the noise-generation system of a diesel engine” J. Acoust. Soc. Am 58 3 635 642
- Crocker, M. J. Hamilton, J. F. “Modeling of Diesel Engine Noise using coherence” SAE paper 790362 , presented at SAE congress, Detroit 1979
- Pischinger, F. F. Schmillen, K. P. Leipold, F. W. “A new measuring method for the direct determination of a Diesel Engine Combustion Noise,” SAE paper 790267 , presented at SAR congress, Detroit 1979
- Chung, J. Y. “Cross-spectral method of measuring acoustic intensity without error caused by instrument phase mismatch” J. Acoust. Soc. Am 64 6 1613 1616