This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Statistical Analysis of the Effect of MMT Concentration on Hydrocarbon Emissions
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1980 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Statistical analyses of extensive fleet test data from several sources with the gasoline antiknock additive, MMT, provide mathematical models for each car make that show the effect of MMT and mileage accumulation on hydrocarbon emissions. These models show:
Engine-out hydrocarbons increase linearly with MMT concentration in the fuel up to 50,000 miles, which is the limit of the data.
MMT results in enhancement of catalyst converter efficiency, which also shows a response to the MMT concentration in the fuel.
CitationHughmark, G. and Sobel, B., "A Statistical Analysis of the Effect of MMT Concentration on Hydrocarbon Emissions," SAE Technical Paper 800393, 1980, https://doi.org/10.4271/800393.
- Benson, J. D., Campion, R. J., and Painter, L. J., “Results of Coordinating Research Council MMT Field Test Program”, SAE Preprint 790706, Detroit, Michigan, June 11–15,1979.
- “CRC MMT Field Test Program”, Report No. 503, Coordinating Research Council, 1979.
- “Submission to Public Hearings on MMT Waiver Request, June 27,1979”, Ethyl Corporation, filed March 17 and June 19, 1978.
- “Statement of Dr. E. E. Weaver at EPA Public Hearing Regarding the Use of MMT in Non-Leaded Fuel”, presented at Washington, D.C., June 27, 1978.
- “General Motors Corporation Submission on Emission Effect of MMT at the Public Hearing on the Ethyl Corporation MMT Waiver Request”, Washington, D.C., June 27–30, 1978.
- Natrella, M. G., “Experimental Statistics”, Handbook No. 97, National Bureau of Standards, p. 17.3 (1963).
- “Methodology and Procedures—Volume II,” CRC Report No. 503, prepared by Environmental Engineering Division of Systems Control, Inc., for Coordinating Research Council, February 15,1979.
- Memorandum to members of CRC—MMT Field Test Group from E. W. Beckman, Chrysler Corporation, April 30, 1979.
- Lenane, D. L., “Effect of MMT on Emissions from Production Cars”, SAE Preprint 780003, Detroit, Michigan, February 27–March 3,1978.