This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Experimental Measurements of the Independent Effects of Dilution Ratio and Filter Temperature on Diesel Exhaust Particulate Samples
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 1, 1980 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A dilution mini-tunnel is described that allows collection of diesel exhaust particulate samples with independent control of the dilution ratio and the sample filter temperature. This tunnel was used to determine the individual effects of these two tunnel operating variables on the samples collected from a single-cylinder indirect-injection test engine run at constant speed and load. Either increasing the filter temperature at fixed dilution ratio or increasing the dilution ratio at fixed filter temperature resulted in a decrease in total particulate mass. These changes in total mass were attributed to changes in the soluble fraction of the particulate sample.
- J. Scott MacDonaid - Engine Research Dept., General Motors Research Laboratories, Warren, MI
- Steven L. Plee - Engine Research Dept., General Motors Research Laboratories, Warren, MI
- James B. D'Arcy - Biomedical Science Dept., General Motors Research Laboratories, Warren, MI
- Richard M. Schreck - Biomedical Science Dept., General Motors Research Laboratories, Warren, MI
CitationMacDonaid, J., Plee, S., D'Arcy, J., and Schreck, R., "Experimental Measurements of the Independent Effects of Dilution Ratio and Filter Temperature on Diesel Exhaust Particulate Samples," SAE Technical Paper 800185, 1980, https://doi.org/10.4271/800185.
- Environmental Protection Agency, “Control of Air Pollution from New Motor Vehicles and New Motor Vehicle Engines; Certification and Test Procedures, Particulate Regulation for Light-Duty Diesel Vehicles,” Federal Register, February 1, 1979.
- Hare C. T., Springer K. J. and Bradow R. L., “Fuel and Additive Effects on Diesel Particulate Development and Demonstration of Methodology,” SAE paper 760130, presented February 23–27, 1976.
- Begeman C. R., Jackson M. W. and Nebel G. J., “Sulfate Emissions from Catalyst-Equipped Automobiles,” SAE paper 741060, presented October 21–25, 1974.
- Collins D., Cuthbertson R. D., Gawen R. W. and Wheeler R. W., “The Use of Constant Volume Sampler and Dilution Tunnel to Compare the Total Particulates from a Range of Automotive Engines,” SAE paper 750904, presented October 13–17. 1975.
- Lipkea W. H., Johnson J. H. and Vuk C. T., “The Physical and Chemical Character of Diesel Particulate Emissions - Measurement Techniques and Fundamental Considerations,” SAE paper 780108, SP-430, presented February 27–March 3, 1978.
- Habibi K., “Characterization of Particulate Matter in Vehicle Exhaust,” Environmental Science and Technology, Vol. 7, No. 3, March 1973, pp. 223–234.
- Somers J. H., Lawrence R., Fett C. E., Baines T. M. and Garbe R. J., “Sulfuric Acid Emissions from Light Duty Vehicles,” SAE paper 760034, presented February 23–27, 1976.
- Springer K. J. and Stahman R. C., “Diesel Car Emissions - Emphasis on Particulate and Sulfate,” SAE paper 770254, presented February 28–March 4, 1977.
- Springer K. J. and Stahman R. C., “Unregulated Emissions from Diesels Used in Trucks and Buses,” SAE paper 770258, presented February 28–March 4, 1977.
- Khatri N. J., Johnson J. H. and Leddy D. G., “The Characterization of the Hydrocarbon and Sulfate Fractions of Diesel Particulate Matter,” SAE paper 780111, presented February 27–March 3, 1978.
- Springer K. J. and Baines T. M., “Emissions from Diesel Versions of Production Passenger Cars,” SAE paper 770818, presented September 26–30, 1977.
- Kittelson D. B. and Dolan D. F., “Dynamics of Sampling and Measurement of Diesel Engine Exhaust Aerosols,” Paper presented at the Conference on Carbonaceous Particles in the Atmosphere, Berkeley, California, March 20–22, 1978.
- Frisch L. E., Johnson J. H. and Leddy D. G., “Effect of Fuels and Dilution Ratio on Diesel Particulate Emissions,” SAE paper 790417, presented February 26–March 2, 1979.
- Williams R. L. and Begeman C. R., “Characterization of Exhaust Particulate Matter from Diesel Automobiles,” Paper presented at 17th Annual Purdue Air Quality Conference, Purdue University, W. Lafayette, Indiana, May 7, 1979.
- Najt P., “Light-Duty Particulate Measurements Using a CVS Tunnel,” presented at Symposium on Diesel Particulate Emissions, Measurement, and Characterization, Ann Arbor, Michigan, May 17–19, 1978.
- Black F. and High L., “Methodology for Determining Particulate and Gaseous Diesel Hydrocarbon Emissions,” SAE paper 790422, presented February 26–March 2, 1979.
- Stivender D. L., “Development of a Fuel-Based Mass Emission Measurement. Procedure,” SAE paper 710604, presented June 7–11, 1971.
- Amann C. A., Stivender D. L., Plee S. L. and MacDonald J. S., “Some Rudiments of Diesel Particulate Emissions,” Paper to be presented at 1980 SAE Congress, Detroit, Michigan, February 25–29, 1980.
- Plee S. L. and MacDonald J. S., “Some Mechanisms Affecting the Mass of Diesel Exhaust Particulate Collected Following a Dilution Process,” Paper to be presented at 1980 SAE Congress, Detroit, Michigan, February 25–29, 1980.