This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Comparison Tests Between Some Full-Scale European Automotive Wind Tunnels — Pininfarina Reference Car
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1980 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A correlation test program between four European full-scale automotive wind tunnels has been performed on a passenger car modified in five different rear-end configurations which cover most of the present passenger cars.
The aim of this program was mainly to evaluate to what extent the aerodynamic drag coefficients, measured in these four different wind tunnels, are reliable and therefore can be used for technical or legislative purposes. The correlation program was extended also to the other force coefficients, that is, lift and side forces, and to the pressure distributions. Tests were carried out at different speeds from 90 to 150 Km/h and at different yaw angles β from − 50° to + 50°.
The comparison shows a generally good agreement between the results of these four tunnels, the differences for tests at β = 0° being, in terms of the standard deviations, in the order of ± 2% as regards the drag coefficient, ± 0.025 and ± 0.011 as regards the front and rear lifts. The agreement seems to be satisfactory also for force measurements in side wind conditions and for pressure measurements.
CitationCogotti, A., Buchheim, R., Garrone, A., and Kuhn, A., "Comparison Tests Between Some Full-Scale European Automotive Wind Tunnels — Pininfarina Reference Car," SAE Technical Paper 800139, 1980, https://doi.org/10.4271/800139.
- Cogotti, A. “Aerodynamic Research for the Evaluation of the Side Wind Gust Effects on the Directional Capability of a Vehicle, by Wind Tunnel Tests” 6th International Technical Conference on Experimental Safety Vehicles Washington Oct. 76
- Moerchen, W. “The Climatic Wind Tunnel of Volkswagenwerk AG” SAE-Paper 680120 , Detroit 1968
- Morelli, A. “The New Pininfarina Wind Tunnel for Full-Scale Automobile Testing” British Hydromechanics Research Ass. Cranfield, U.K. 1973 335 366
- Antonucci G. Ceronetti G. Costelli A. “Aerodynamic and Climatic Wind Tunnels in the Fiat Research Center” Paper 770392 presented at SAE Automotive Engineering Congress, Detroit February 1977
- Kuhn, A. “Der grosse Daimler Benz Windkanal” ATZ 1978
- Janssen L.J. Hucho, W.H. “Aerodynamische Formoptierung der Type VW-Golf und VW-Scirocco” Kolloquium ueber Industrie-aerodynamic Aachen Part 3 46 49 1974
- Morel, Thomas “Aerodynamic Drag of Bluff Body Shapes characteristic of Hatch-Back Cars” SAE-Paper 780267 , Congress and Exposition, Cobo Hall, Detroit 1978
- Volkswagen paper on Volkswagen wind tunnel correlation program to be presented at SAE Congress Febr. 80