This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Computerized Bearing System Analysis Tuned for Front Wheel Drive Vehicles
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1980 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In a front wheel drive vehicle, the space available for driveline and suspension components has placed unique demands on the wheel bearing design. To assist with the selection of an optimum bearing package, a computer program has been developed based on a total bearing systems analysis. For the calculation of the bearing system fatigue life, the program considers duty cycle, vehicle load and speed, bearing setting, lubrication, and the misalignment caused by the imposed loads. A theoretical bearing package evaluation made early in the wheel design will assure satisfactory performance under actual service conditions.
|Technical Paper||Development of a Multi-Component Wheel Force Transducer - A Tool to Support Vehicle Design and Validation|
|Technical Paper||A Family of Tapered Roller Bearings for Front Wheel Drive Vehicles|
CitationGilbert, G., Hoeprich, M., and Wasik, H., "Computerized Bearing System Analysis Tuned for Front Wheel Drive Vehicles," SAE Technical Paper 800006, 1980, https://doi.org/10.4271/800006.
- Gilbert G. G. Harbottle, W. E. “UNIPAC - An Independently Sprung Driving Wheel Bearing,” SAE 790414
- Wasik, H. J. “Wheel Bearing Mountings For Highway Vehicles.” SAE 760373
- Cave B. J. Bhatia, R. R. “New Bearing Selection Concepts and Mounting Guidelines for Off-Highway Wheels,” SAE 790525
- Leibensperger, R. L. “Look Beyond Catalog Ratings,” Machine Design April 3 1975
- Fitzsimmons B. Jenkins, A. J. “Bearing Damage Analysis and the Influence of Environmental Factors Relevant to Accelerated Testing Programs,” ASAE
- Danner, C. H. “Fatigue Life of Tapered Roller Bearings Under Minimal Lubricant Films,” ASLE Transactions 13 No. 4 October 1970
- Moyer, C. A. “The Use of Elastohydrodynamic Lubrication in Understanding Bearing Performance,” SAE Preprint 710733
- Kepple R. K. Johnson, M. F. “Effect of Rear Axle Lubricant on the Fatigue Life of Tapered Roller Bearings,” SAE 760329
- Rounds, F. G. “Some Effects of Additives on Rolling Contact Fatigue,” ASLE 66LC-27
- Zantopulos, H. “The Effect of Misalignment on the Fatigue Life of Tapered Roller Bearings,” ASME Preprint 71-LUB-6
- “Low Ratings and Fatigue Life for Roller Bearings,” ANSI October 1972
- Neifert H. R. Wren, F. J. “The Rating of Tapered Roller Bearings Through Continuing Worldwide Quality Audit,” presented at SAE National Farm, Construction, Industrial Machinery meeting Milwaukee, Wisconsin September
- Littmann, W. E. Widner, R. L. et al “The Role of Lubrication in Propagation of Contact Fatigue Cracks,” ASLE-ASME 67-LUB-20
- Smith J. G. Smith, J. E. “Lateral Forces on Vehicles During Driving,” Automobile Engineer December 1967